Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cord on my transducer is almost cut (see picture below). This is for a Marcum LX6, but it looks like the same unit is used on the LX5 to LX9. The black and red wires appear to be fine. The grey wire is severed. I can't figure out how to take the puck apart (without potentially doing some major damage). Anyone has experience with this type of problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Being a vex owner, I've never had that problem:evil::
The grey wire you refer to is shielding, used to prevent electrical interference on the signal and return wires. The only repairs I'd attempt would be sealing with rtv silicone to prevent water intrusion. Once that's done and all is well, you could be creative and add a lift cord to take the stress of the ducer cable. Like the bird uses.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a vex owner, I've never had that problem:evil::
The grey wire you refer to is shielding, used to prevent electrical interference on the signal and return wires. The only repairs I'd attempt would be sealing with rtv silicone to prevent water intrusion. Once that's done and all is well, you could be creative and add a lift cord to take the stress of the ducer cable. Like the bird uses.
Interesting. On the second day of my trip this week, the sensitivity went down and I could not fix that problem by increasing the sensitivity. I could no longer see the jig that I could clearly see at the beginning of the day. I looked up "cold soldering" to reconnect the grey wire and came across two potential solutions, but the products are not widely available, so I am not sure if they are good products:

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/cold-heat-cordless-soldering-pen.html?SC=WIF20001&gclid=COKTjtG-_ckCFQ6SaQod32sKDg

http://www.amazon.com/Sciplus-Electrically-Conductive-Soldering-Wire/dp/B000Z9H7ZW/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I could just glue the whole thing together after that. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
My brother in laws transducer looks way worse than that. The problem is/was the wires were completely chewed up by my two golden retrievers. That will teach my bil to leave the Marcum on the garage floor. I wouldn't even begin to fix it so had to order a new transducer from Marcum. Beginning to wonder if the pups are ever going to get over their puppyhood.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to Harbor Freight ( we have them locally) and buy this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-watt-lightweight-soldering-iron-69060.html

and this

http://www.harborfreight.com/lead-free-rosin-core-solder-69378.html

Some silicone afterwards followed by good 3M tape and you should be fixed up.
Thanks! I don't have a lot of experience with electric repairs. Not sure I can handle the precision soldering, even with lead that melts at lower temperatures. It look like the "cold" soldering options I looked up aren't going to work either. I might just have to bite the bullet and get a new transducer. The problem is: I bought the whole unit earlier this year, so it has only been used one season. I wonder if other people are having the same problem. It's not going to work for me if I have to buy a new transducer every year.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I should have asked you if it was acting differently. Problem is soldering shielding wires that you cannot see, which are in ducer. Id call their tech dept in morning, see what they say. Or youtube? With most things today, repairs are not what manufacturers have in mind or want. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Or run over to pistoldogs tomorrow and:pray:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back and looked at my purchase history and I actually bought it in November 2014. Nevertheless, it has only been in use for one season and I used it twice this season. I'm going to wait another day to see if someone has a good fix. Will pull the trigger on a new transducer tomorrow. That one better last more than one season or the Marcum is gonna be gone! :mad:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why don't you try to get ahold of Marcum and see if they will do anything for you? Can't hurt to try.

Jeff
Thought about it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted it on Iceshanty and someone said the puck looked like it was ran over by a car... It really doesn't look that bad in real life. Another picture without the flash:

Somehow the flash made small cuffs show up like big damage. It even made small particles show up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would definitely call Marcums customer service. They have been more then accommodating with a couple of issues I've had with my Showdown.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had the same problem on my old fl20. Fixed it only to have it break a few outings later. Just buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just placed the order.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That looks like a manufacturing defect to me. The casing didn't hold up for any length of time. I would think they would want to replace that for you just as a service for a customer. Any repairs would only be temporary as there is not enough casing coming out of the transducer to get a good repair on. I cut my Vex cord casing (but not the wires) about 8" above the top of the float about 10 years ago and sent it in and they put some of that tape that only sticks to itself and is water tight and it held up for a long time before it finally failed. I just recently replaced that one with a used one and it is working pretty good. Sure can't hurt to send it in and let them make the decision on repairing or replacing it for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts