Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a line on a few deep V 14' aluminum boats, more of an Alaskan style deep V. They will require a long-shaft outboard...20" transom height. Can anyone point me towards an approximate thrust range that will be adequate for the size of this boat? I'm thinking 50#'s. Plan on hitting Barr out here in Brighton and maybe Boyd over in Loveland/Ft. Collins. Outboard may have to wait till spring!!

Stan.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I have a 14ft V-hull with a 18hp Johnson(weights about 90lbs) and my brother and I with all our gear and my 28# does pretty good.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
riceboyz said:
Thanks Jay.

What kind of run time do you get out of the 28# motor?

Stan.
Im not sure what the amps are on it(I forgot) but when I did the math it was like 5 straight hours on high speed.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well if it is going to be your only motor or if you plan on hitting the electric only lakes i would figure the size i want then go 1 or 2 steps up nothing like getting caught on the other side of the lake when the wind kicks up. i would definetly get a motor with a maximizer they very speed of the motor with out wasting juice maximizer is just 1 brand name for this control method but the same power motor will cost $50-100 more but when run at lower speed you get like 5-10 times the battery life that way you can get the bigger motor and run all day at lower settings but have the guts to get you home into the breeze i have a 16' trihull with a 50 horse and i use a 40lb w/max and it will make way into a fairly stiff breeze but if it was all i had i might want a little bigger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts