Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to boating, my boat came with a transom saver that connects to the trailer. However I noticed that the outboard (Mercury 90 4 Stroke) comes with a latch that can also support the motor. Any recommendations as to which is the better support system?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
use the transom saver it is for going down the road if you hit a chuck hole and the trailor bounces it takes some of the shock off the transom the motor block leaves all the weight of the motor on the transom. if you just use the motor block and you hit a bump it can cause a air bubble in your hydrolic cylinder in which case you motor wont go up or down. the bigger the motor the more important it is to use a transome saver. it cost me a fishing trip to find out about using the motor block, got to the lake and the motor wouldn't go up or down, went back to the dealer and he showed me how to bleed the air out. i know some people use nothing but the motor block and get by with it. think about it if you have 600 lbs of motor hanging on your transom every bounce strains the boat. let the trailon take some of that bounce

if it is set up right you cant use both at once. i only use the motor block to go to the campsite at slow speed

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
Use your transom saver. Dont use the motor latch thingy. I Use the transom saver if im simply going from the ramp to the parking lot.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use the wedge. www.my-wedge.com. It works great on my Merc 90 Its fast it stores anywhere Just slip it over the tilt trim piston rod and lower the motor dow on it. I trailered my boat over 4000 miles this spring. and some the roads were really bumpy. Ive had it for five years now and had no problems.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I used the latch on my first boat ended up with a crack in my transom. The boat came with a transom saver but I lost/left it at the lake one day and thought I would be fine. It's cheap insurance on your transom IMO. I have a 150 hp Mariner and I can't imagine going very far without it, that thing has some weight to it. Unless you want the B.O.A.T. (bust out another thousand) fairy visiting you I suggest shellin out the $50 bucks for one.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've got a 40 HP and I've never had a problem just using the little latch-the boat is 14 yrs old and been all over the place. But I have been thinking about getting a transom saver just to be safe-anybody got a site that sells them. Do you have to get one specifically for your trailer and motor or are they universal fit?

·
Registered
802 Posts
kirbydog said:
I've got a 40 HP and I've never had a problem just using the little latch-the boat is 14 yrs old and been all over the place. But I have been thinking about getting a transom saver just to be safe-anybody got a site that sells them. Do you have to get one specifically for your trailer and motor or are they universal fit?

Take your pick;

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=transom+saver&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6e1f91018ccc8242&biw=1013&bih=535

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What saves the transom when youre in the water?

The factory one will be just fine and now people are actually saying they are the best type.

·
Registered
301 Posts
DwainArvada said:
I use the wedge. www.my-wedge.com. It works great on my Merc 90 Its fast it stores anywhere Just slip it over the tilt trim piston rod and lower the motor dow on it. I trailered my boat over 4000 miles this spring. and some the roads were really bumpy. Ive had it for five years now and had no problems.
Absolutely! I've used the wedge for about 9 years now. One, on a boat trailered back and forth to the Florida Keys 6 times, and no problems. Motor on that is a 90 Yamaha. I also use one on my 115 Merc on my Lund. No problems there either. Its fast, its easy, its effective.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
crankn101 said:

The factory one will be just fine and now people are actually saying they are the best type.
The factory one? The factory one what? There are no factory transom savers that I have ever seen. All you get is a latch that holds the motor in the up-tilted position. That is the very same device that has wrecked transoms by the thousands. That's a transom killer, not a transom saver.

You don't go over big pot holes when you're in the water. What saves the transom when you're in the water? The boat designers do. The transom is built to have an engine hanging on it when in the water. When you're on the road and the engine is tilted up and latched, a big bump puts a tremendous twisting force downward on the transom -- one that you will never see when in the water. And believe me, they will crack.

And who are "people"? If you let "people" (who have no names) guide any part of your life, I have a really nice bridge I would like to sell you.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
crankn101 said:

The factory one? The factory one what? There are no factory transom savers that I have ever seen. All you get is a latch that holds the motor in the up-tilted position. That is the very same device that has wrecked transoms by the thousands. That's a transom killer, not a transom saver.

You don't go over big pot holes when you're in the water. What saves the transom when you're in the water? The boat designers do. The transom is built to have an engine hanging on it when in the water. When you're on the road and the engine is tilted up and latched, a big bump puts a tremendous twisting force downward on the transom -- one that you will never see when in the water. And believe me, they will crack.

And who are "people"? If you let "people" (who have no names) guide any part of your life, I have a really nice bridge I would like to sell you.
Johnson/evinrude makes the ones for travel not Merc. Mercs are for working on them only. ???

A boat and trailer is NOT one solid unit and with every bump you hit hard you actually get some separation between the trailer and boat. So what you have is a device that is actually driving more force up to your motor with every pot hole you hit.

And I would trust the "people" with bass rigs that have 250 HP motors hangin off the back that travel all over the country vs most Colorado anglers.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Apologies for being crabby tonight. Been laying tile all day & damn tired of it.
Crabby just makes it more enjoyable... :D

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
do what you want but my buddy had to replace the transom in his 17 foot tracker with a 90 on it and it only cost him 4000 bucks

let me see now transom saver 55 bucks
new transom 4000 bucks

i will use the transom saver thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts