Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I have a Dave Scadden Avenger Pontoon boat and love it but transporting it can be a pain in the ass. The boat is around 12ft long and I usually hook up a small motor of sorts to it. My question is what is the best way for transport? I drive a 4runner so I can put it inside and in my roof box but assembling it takes awhile and then if I want to move to another close by body of water it is just a hassle.

I am looking at a small trailer, possibly from harbor freight.... 4X8 ft and the raft would hang off a bit. Any suggestions would be awesome or experiences with transport of these bulky rafts.

BC

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 13' Maravia set up by streamtech boats. I bought an old snowmobile trailer for $300.00 that works perfectly- I leave the boat set up on it all season. O0

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i have had 4 years of great success with this setup. i can take one off and someone else going can put on their pontoon, watermaster, small raft, etc.

i bought the trailer, a Shorelandr single ATV trailer, and made out of unistrut the bunkers for the upper pontoon.

i am selling one of my pontoons, and the trailer - down sizing to only my 9 foot pontoon.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Just toss it on your luggage rack.

I put my truck on a level surface so it won't be pulled off by gravity, and the wind can be a pain in the a$$. But it's easy. I just slide it up from the back end of the car rather than from the side. I carry a tarp so I can put down when sliding up so that I don't scratch the heck out of the back of my 4runner (learned my lesson after the first trip out).

Only issue I ever had was coming back through the springs one time, over monument hill it was a wind chill of about 10 degrees, and going 65 sure killed the air int he pontoons, so had to tighten it up some when I got to tomah road, but it was fine.

Rob

·
Registered
466 Posts
When rigged, the avenger is over 70lbs. Good luck lifting it to the roof rack.
A boat like that better off with a flat bed trailer and simply put some cheap carpet on it for easy slide. You should shck out AA's rig.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hey AA that thing is SWEET! Giving me ideas - hubby and I now have (different) pontoons, but might seriously consider a trailer setup like that. I've seen another setup that was designed to load onto a trailer hitch and actually carry the toons vertically... it's called an EZ Packer and there's a great review on TackleTour. Here's a link: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewezpacker.html

Have seriously considered one of these. Did well in review too. Might not be enough for a 12'-er though. All in all, great concept. Might look a little odd on the back of my Saturn L series sedan, though! ;)

A friend has done pretty well with a slightly modded Harbor Freight trailer (he's a former fleet mechanic for Xcel) for his snowmobile. He just bought a 12' aluminum jon boat - curious as to what he's going to pull that with.

How much does your Avenger weigh? I've seen some back-saving loader kits for things like kayaks, but heavy is, well, hell on your back. Advantage with a trailer is not having to lift the darn thing so much - though you need to secure it just as well as if it was on the top of your vehicle. (A cover is also a very nice thing to consider- keeps stuff from landing on your toon and damaging it - gravel is a brutal thing in the mtns.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
EZ Packer won't handle anything over a 9 foot pontoon and even then, only certain brands. has to do with where the bracket attaches to the pontoon and then the length remaining to the ground.

i looked at lots of considerations, this is what i arrived at and worked best for multi day river float trips where shuttle service, etc. was required and high speed road travel. har dto do with something strapped to the roof or rear verticle.

when i have this rig in Montana, no kidding, a dozen folks a day stop me to ask about the setup.

Fishingal, this trailer is for sale as is if you are interested. have not set the price yet. i bought it from Bass Pro - one of the Shorelandr ATV trailers. it was like $1,600 new. it comes with (not on) a rear ramp deck. still have that, not needed for float toons.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AA that rig is sweet! Thanks for the all the replies. I probably am going to hit up Harbor Freight and modify it to hold two toons.

I have put the Avenger on the top of my car once..... I will never do that again. That thing is a beast. I'll post a picture of it later.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
send me an email address via PM and i can send you some pictures of how i build the rack, bunckers, etc. out of unistrut. if interested. good luck on your trailer rigging. be very cautious of the harbor freight trailer axel/wheel/bearing....long haul road use is not a friend of that type of trailer. you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
TANGLER said:
That is straight gangster, Thom.

Thom driving around Montana w that rig = O0
correction, Thom driving around Montana with Oyey riding shotgun in that rig = O0 O0

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I've used a Harbor Freight trailer for seven years. It only has the eight inch wheels, but I've been all over the state with it and had no problems at all...at highway speeds. When you aren't backing a trailer into water, or over loading the trailer, the bearings hold up well.

I just built sides on the trailer and a tailgate. I also took four 2x6's and built a rack on top of the sides. I can put two toons, four batteries, and two trolling motors on the trailer...also misc. gear..and another toon in the back of my truck. Works great and super easy to pull.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts