Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I'm going to visit Pops up north. I'll be going by airplane and Pops wants me to pack a few wipers along...

Question:

I know it's possible, but I'd like for the wipeys to be nice, fresh and still frozen when I get there. I'm thinking of puttin' them individually in ziploc bags and then boxing them in a cardboard box with some (dry ice?)... Is that even allowed?

Or is a styrofoam cooler ok with the airport security?

Does anyone know of a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
281 Posts
Eyered,
I just went through this comeing home from Ak we bought igloo cooler froze the fish duct taped it shut no hassel unles you are over weight we had extra charges being over 50 lbs broght home 182 lbs .

·
Registered
117 Posts
When i went back to washington to go steelhead fishing for x-mas i had my brother overnight the fish to me with fed ex so i didnt have to deal with it on the plain. If you do use dry ice just be carefull it can be a little dangerous but very effective good luck and have asafe trip ;)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
You can use dry ice but IT MUST BE LESS THAN 5LBS(Of dry ice.) Also the package you put it in has to have a hole it so it can breath. Id suggest you find someone with a deep freeze. Freeze them rock hard, Get a cooler with some cold packs and put them in there.

I work in the shipping industry and know the regs for this kind of stuff.

-Jay

·
Registered
110 Posts
1Eye,

We just did the same thing returning from my Mom's house with some morell mushrooms.

I first froze them solid in water in see through plastic bags and just used regular ice to surround them. I showed the airport security what it was and then duct taped it. They were in there for about 4 hours and everything was fine when I got home. I was able to just throw them back into the deep freeze. I think freezing them in water is the trick.

Now, if I can only catch some legal walleyes to go with them.

John

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
1eyered,

I used to freeze the fish, wrap well with newspaper, stick it in a plastic bag and and then stuff it in to a carry on. It will stay frozen for over 12 hours.

Terre

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
check with the airline you are traveling with also...they might have different stipulations on certain packages...and i would leave it unsealed until you get it check out at the airport...they will want to look inside it most likely. i deal with this all the time, i do a majority of my traveling with strange looking boxes.

other than that it should be no issue...ive seen lots of fish being transported, all the info given by everyone above sounds like solid advice....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
as jay said the dry ice can be touchy but if 5lbs is ok i would use it might not be necasary though i once shiped a frozenelk hide from here to CA just froze it hard and droped it in a disposable cooler and dropped it with UPS it was just starting to thaw on the edges if i had taken the time to wrap it in some towels or something to fill the rest of the space in the cooler it would have been better

i have taken several cooler loads of fish and meat back and forth from southern cal first i put a couple heavy towels in the bottom of the cooler stack up the frozen meat and put a few pounds of dry ice ontop fold over the towels and fill any remaining voids with towels and seal it up have gone 4 plus days with no sign of thawing

O yeah i always vacume seal all meat before freezing vacume sealing is the way to go

with a short flight (VS driving or UPS) a cheap should be fine and drop a pound or 2 of dry ice in for insurance just make sure there are no air spaces left use paper towels or clean rags a jacket stuff like that

good luck and i hope POPS enjoys the fish

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

A lotta good ideas and it really helps. I now know my options and I now know not to seal the package tight until I get to the airport. Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Leave the box un-sealed -- or they will unseal it at the airport. they check my fish box everytime I leave alaska and I bring an extra role of duck tape to re-seal it when they are done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts