Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try Trappers Lake again. No pix, so I know this doesn't count. Haven't been since the Big Fish fire, and it's really changed. Weather was miserable - cold, and blowing white caps. Camped at Cutthroat Campground, several other campgrounds are already closed for the season, or maybe they closed early due to the small fire a few weeks ago. Only one other camper in there. Wife & me & the JRT & the weener dog decided to hike to the top end and see if we could find some deeper water, and toss some bugs Bad idea, 4 hours of prime fishing wasted, crawling over logs. Too much fire kill and blow down. The Jack is good at log hopping, the weener dog, not so much, I had to pack her in and out. We finally threw in the towel and returned to base. Dropped them off at camp, and backtracked to something called "Scotts Lake" trailhead, and got to some decent water within 15 minutes. Third cast, got one 14" on an ant pattern. I call it an ant, but it's just a red chinnile head with a peacock body, and a badger saddle hackle tied bivisible. Simple, but usually deadly on cutties . Unhooked it in the water, so I didn't get an accurate measurement, but I was delighted to see it was in good shape: small head and a thick body - unlike the ones I've caught a couple of decades ago when it felt like there were more brooks than cutts in the lake. I totally forgot how beautiful Colorado river cutthroats are - it's been too long since I've seen one on the end of my line. By then it was almost dark, so I headed back to the RV for Happy Hour. We planned on hiking into Little Trappers, or Surprise, or maybe Wall again, but that ferocious wind sucked the fun out of it. Broke camp, bought an $18 baseball cap at the lodge, and made tracks back to Victor - again, just in time for Happy Hour.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts