Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I was thinking about starting trapping again when I get home from Afghanistan but all the rules and regs for Colorado and trapping confuse the hell out of me. I was wondering if someone knew exactly what it all means and could possible break it down for me . Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they use to be like 25-30 a piece but now they are running around 45-50

where is a good place to go hunting them and whats you set up on them if you dont mind me asking

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Along with everything else in the economy, the fur trade is very selective.

NAFA [North American Fur Auction] is paying the $45-50, but they must make the grade. Most do not, especially the 'prairie coyotes'. High mtn dogs are much better.

I have an outlet for all my yote fur. I just have to skin them. No fleshing/stretching/sewing bullet holes. I freeze them and ship.
I get $40 across the board + shipping.

Set-up?
I sometimes snipe them and other times I call them.

I shot 2 off this cow carcass a couple weeks ago.
Easiest $80 I ever made.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info I use to trap alot of them back home in minnesota and never really got much into hunting them, Ive shot a few of them mostly just opportunity shots but hopefully i will be able to get out some and try my luck at it this fall and winter

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Well, although you seemed to have said you read through the Regs, here is the link to the Furbearers section. http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/A348F16A-1B28-440E-9245-EB4E4630ACCE/0/Ch03.pdf

Agreed, it is pretty complicated. The biggest thing is to make sure you are using non-lethal-traps (which have to be used in accordance to specific guidelines). Although for under water setups you can use lethal trapping (for Muskrats). A regular Small Game Licenses is sufficient, although there is a Furbearers License too. Seasons are easy though. Best advice would be in the area that you are planning to trap, call the District Wildlife Manager for that region: he'll/she'll be able to get you on the right track.

Good Luck To You!!

D.J.

·
Registered
863 Posts
jjbailey said:
thanks for the info I use to trap alot of them back home in minnesota and never really got much into hunting them, Ive shot a few of them mostly just opportunity shots but hopefully i will be able to get out some and try my luck at it this fall and winter
Hello jjbailey.
Welcome to Colorado and the web site. Thank You for all you do, my son just left for "over there".

I am from Mn. myself (Little Falls is my home town - went to school in Bemidji - and lived on a farm in Chaska for many years). I am a trapper. I used to trap when I first moved here, but now legholds are basicly illegal. some sort of live trapping does exsist here but costly and bulky traps! This fall I want to trap New Mexico or Wyoming = extended weekend or over thanks giving. something like that.

I do buy some fur to keep me in the ball game. Look me up when you get home. I live in Fountain.

Mikinaak aka Paul 8)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Still ticked off that leg hold trapping was generally outlawed by the public. Never should have been allowed to have been voted on.

The Colorado Trapping Association just had the auction out in Hugo this last week/weekend. One of my best friends is the manager of it and said prices looked to be up so far after the first day of it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks everyone for the advice and MIKINAAK yeah I know Bemidji is Im from a little Town called Taconite right by Grand Rapids and doesnt even sounds like I should waste my time with trapping anymore looks like I might have to bust out the calls and ice house to keep me busy in the winter and I will be sure to hit you guys up when I get home this spring..Thanks everyone

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was born in Bemidji and my dad and his brother have a farm on the river about 5 miles from the headwaters at Itasca. My moms family owned a hardware in Bagley.
If I was a little better set I'd be living there and working part time at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Im from Baudette - Lake of the Woods

You couldnt kick me back there - 25yrs of scratching out a living and farming... you can have it.

The walleyes are still there tho

·
Registered
863 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
I was born in Bemidji and my dad and his brother have a farm on the river about 5 miles from the headwaters at Itasca. My moms family owned a hardware in Bagley.
If I was a little better set I'd be living there and working part time at Walmart.
UNREPENTANT, Hardware Hanks? MyGrandfather, dad, uncles are from Bagley. My Aunt Rose (Kaiser) lives just north of the headwaters on Long Lake.
Small world!

·
Registered
863 Posts
cnelk said:
Im from Baudette - Lake of the Woods

You couldnt kick me back there - 25yrs of scratching out a living and farming... you can have it.

The walleyes are still there tho
cnelk, do you know Randy Orton?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
bunch of square heads from Miinnisota on here! Spent 2 years in Duluth working for the power company around northern MN, IFalls, the iron Range, We had a little hydro at Baudette with a guest cabin, 2 winters were enough to bring back all the bad memorys of growing up in N Dak, high tailed it back to Blue Skys of Colorado. Allot of nice dogs around Blue Mesa every time I go ice fishing, just not sure 25-40 bucks is worth skinning them stinky things for? You guys skin them warm? heard it is easier, have done a couple cold and don't have good memorys :mad: fishing has stunks so maybe dog hunting would be a better use of time! I talked to a friend who is a cat buyer the other day and he said cat prices are good again, not allot of rabbits or cats around so prices are good. now for $400 I will skin one!

·
Registered
844 Posts
UNREPENTANT, Hardware Hanks? MyGrandfather, dad, uncles are from Bagley. My Aunt Rose (Kaiser) lives just north of the headwaters on Long Lake.
Small world!
No Petersons on the NW corner of the main intersection. Last time I was there the building was empty but still standing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts