Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is almost here and so are trashy people! I spent a couple of days last week cleaning up trash along the shore line and walking path around McKay Lake. I got 8 garbage bags full. I was unable to reach the areas around the walk-out ramp on the north end...my fishing net only extends out 6' so there is still a lot in that area. I am now taking my camera on my daily walks around the lake and plan on getting as much info as I can on anyone that I see tossing trash or BAIT fishing. I was glad to help out but 8 trash bags is just inconsiderate bastards! A lot of bait packages, plastic bottle and drink cups.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Never been to McKay.. but i really apreciate your efforts!! I typically will pick up atleast a bag of trash most times out fishing... Never have done 8 bags at once though!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't make it very clear....that McKay lake is lures and artificials only yet I see people using bait a lot...no warden when ya need one!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I live 2 minutes from McKay Lake. I am constantly talking to folks about not using bait. I'd be happy to go along on a clean up. Throw on my waiters and get the stuff out of reach from shore.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a trash bag with me yesterday and got another full bag, mostly by the horses and in the willows just SW of the dam by the houses. I think I have gotten most of it except in the cattails by the horses and by the walkout ramp. I SURE appreciate your help. If you want to go "trash picken" this Tuesday I will be back from turkey scouting. We, who use the area, need to remind others: NO-dogs off leash and pickup their poop, NO bait fishing and pick up trash. It is a wonderful hike and I guess pretty good fishing----I never fish it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I feel for you folks. We have a nice little put and take lake here in Montrose - Chipeta Lake. However, it like your McKay Lake gets unbelievably trashed by inconsiderate folks. Several years ago I used to go down and take trash bags and pick up the trash on my own. One Friday I went down (and this was after there was a group effort the week before) and I still picked up two trash bags worth of crap. I did it one more time the following week and finally said the heck with it. I don't use the lake anymore as I just get frustrated with people won't police up after themselves. Being a spoil sport I know but I will only do so much when it becomes obvious that the efforts are wasted. I haven't been back to the lake in well over three years so I don't know what it is like now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My back yard is McKay lake so I don't have a choice. My neighbors and I are working with the City of Westminster to put signage up with reminders and then start issuing tickets and fines. I love Montrose! Sorry to hear about your lake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.