Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Blue Meanie named after the band.. And this song is about industrial crap getting in the water. So it seemed apt. And yes they are from the eighties.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvCCMVzJzo Made from wire from a set of broken ear buds. There is a dark blue wire with a white core. I removed the core so it would wrap flat. It is made up of lots of very small wires. Smaller than the xtra small UTC. There are also a red and a light copper wire in them that are the same stuff. I used some black flash for the rib and coated it with hard as nails for durability. Dubbing found laying around my vise.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Marabou caddis.

I used some discard chartreuse marabou, some Nymph V rib, and some dark dubbing laying around my vise. I think it is mostly black ice dub and some semi seal.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did a second take on the blue meanie. I did not think the mylar rib stood out enough. This time I used the light brass colored strand with the core removed and twisted it to make it round for the rib. I used the core material for gills. Going to do it with the red and blue next.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok some more variations. I like the material you can make a pretty trim body with it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Pilotfly,

Here is another marabou caddis pattern using the junk feathers at the base. all it is is two colors of marabou with wire wrapped all the way to the head to reinforce the feathers. I have this work when none of the convectional caddis patterns were doing it. Mostly on the Deckers stretch of the S Platte. Super simple and quick to tie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey All, Bugz, I like the repurpose angle, speaking of one man's trash being another's tying materials, reminded me when I was younger my chocolate lab made a great mayfly nymph dubbing & roommates malamute worked for caddis pupae, or could make an albeit poor buckskin imitations in a pinch. One brushing will supply you for years...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
New one. Doing house cleaning today. mopped myself into the tying room.

Dust bunny midge:

Abdomen: Dust bunny dubbing. 2 dogs 3 cats 3 humans.

Rib: 3 strands of red wire from ear buds. twisted.

Thorax: Found in the waste tray. Looked like a brown dyed peackock feather? But I dont really know. I dont own any brown peacock. Maybe ostrich?

Wing case: Mylar off of this foam toy rocket i found while walking the dogs.

Hotspot on head: pink sharpie on thread during first whip finish.

Followed by black sharpie colored thread on last whip finish.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey All, Bugz, I like the repurpose angle, speaking of one man's trash being another's tying materials, reminded me when I was younger my chocolate lab made a great mayfly nymph dubbing & roommates malamute worked for caddis pupae, or could make an albeit poor buckskin imitations in a pinch. One brushing will supply you for years...
Hey Red Feather Troutbum,

Awhile back I posted a pic of a streamer I tied from one of the cats. Thought you might like it.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/11-fly-tying/64970-some-new-streamer-materials.html

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dead Duck Midge.

I used the blue green fishing line that drowned a duck at prospect pond the last time I was there. Wrapped over a red body. Used a scrap of mylar tinsel for a flash back. I found that kicking around the floor at Jo-ann fabrics when I was there getting felt for the tying table.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Try the same thing that you did with the red and black bead head but do red wire with a white body instead of black. It's been a killer pattern for me in Stillwater and tailwaters. They love it at eleven mile canyon in about an 18 with the biggest white tungsten head you can fit on there. It does well at spinney too.i call it the candy cane for obvious reasons and it's one of my go tos.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
One day I was fishing something just like your red and black midges with the clear plastic bead head at cheesman and as soon as the sun went down I just started killing it. I was pulling a fish out of every single pool and riffle. I was calling them it was so crazy. I think I tied them in about a 22 only Mine don't ever have the "mane." I call the black with red wire the darth vader.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try the same thing that you did with the red and black bead head but do red wire with a white body instead of black. It's been a killer pattern for me in Stillwater and tailwaters. They love it at eleven mile canyon in about an 18 with the biggest white tungsten head you can fit on there. It does well at spinney too.i call it the candy cane for obvious reasons and it's one of my go tos.
I have a few red and white midges in my box but I have not fished them very much. I will have to try them more often. I first heard of the Candy Cane midge in one of John Geirach's books. He ties his without the bead head because he is an old crotchety purist and all... I have also had alot of luck on black and red midges. Mostly a red and black mercury Juju midge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts