Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well dudes its been talked about before on the forum with no action taken. It's the trash that fisherman leave behind while hitting lakes or streams. I would really like to organize a trash pick up somewhere to clean up some bodies of water. For nothing else other then the fact I don't like looking at it. I think if a few of us show the pride we have in colorado waters other people might think twice before tossing a beer can, worm container, or fly container on the ground after using them. Any suggestions on a body of water that is located somewhere most of us can show up? I will provide trash bags!!!

Even the Dream Stream has ******** walking the whole stretch I seen empy fly containers, powerbait jars, beer cans, and panther martin wrappers. Pretty sad to know that there are bums no matter where you fish.

·
Registered
943 Posts
just tell me where i will show up.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I am probably out of range for a group effort, but I'll tell you something I do, that everyone else can do as well. I always take a trash bag with me every time I go fishing. Before I leave a site I always go around and pick up any trash I can see. Usually I don't have to haul it home, there will be a dumpster or trash barrel somewhere around the site, people are just too lazy to use it.

Sometimes another fisherman or two will join me and help pick up, too. But one thing I always notice, is that if anyone else is fishing within sight, they never throw down any trash after they have seen me going around picking it up. At least not until I leave. :)

W. E.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am with you 100% F.G.--Nothing pisses me off worse than trash at my fishin' hole!!! As long as we plan it ahead of time, I will be there to help!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I had a DOW officer tell me that every fisherman he talks to, never leaves trash and always picks up trash that was by him when he was fishing.
Basically, its a great Idea. Will it work Yes if we do it. I personally usually have a walmart bag with me and usually fill it up if I'm not in a hurry. Do I think I would fill up a garbage bag every time, I doubt it, even at the chatfield clean up we walked a long way and I dont think anyone filled 1 whole bag by themselves but we did get a ton of trash.
I would be down to show up for a lake clean up, but we would have to do the clean up before we fished, I think this was the problem at the picinic. If you contacted the parks or city where the lake/stream is I am sure someone would donate the trash bags so that it didnt come out of anyones pocket, not alot of money but why pay for it if you dont have to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like to carry a few bags with me as well and leave a spot with it full. It would be nice if everyone did it...then we would all have a few empty bags...

As an example anytime there is an event or gathering, it can always start by a little cleaning house. Not only does it accomplish the desired result, but it sets a good example.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great topic...this is a subject that could use more awareness.

3 weeks ago me and a fishing buddy filled a 30 gallon trash bag with line, cans, worm containers and all sorts of junk from a new found honey spot. This location was real good to me in 2005 when a lot of other fishing spots turned south. Even though I felt near death from the flu, I still managed to pitch in.

I strongly encourage everyone to DO what they can to clean up areas they fish. You'll be glad you did. I make routine cleanup trips to Ward Pond, Prospect Ponds (wheatridge) and others...it gives me a reason to visit these bassin' spots during the offseason.

Areas in need of Cleanup: Any large public Reservoir, pick your favorite and undoutedly there will be trash.

Lowell Ponds is on my list of top 10 "Worst Trashed", Spratt Platt is a good second choice, with Grandview Ponds coming up 3rd. There is probably a lot of other locations that could use the help as well.

Anyone can make a difference!!!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree with you on this one FG. But your always gonna have those bonehead fisherman that dont give a crap about the water or the outdoors.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The last time I was out at Frank Easement Ponds in Windsor it was the trashiest place I have seen yet. I picked up some trash but there was too much trash for one person to pick up unless they didn't fish and they dedicated the entire day to picking up trash! I only had a Walmart bag that I always have with me when I fish so I couldn't fit a whole lot in there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Lowell Ponds is on my list of top 10 "Worst Trashed", Spratt Platt is a good second choice, with Grandview Ponds coming up 3rd. There is probably a lot of other locations that could use the help as well.

Anyone can make a difference!!!
unfortunatlly your right on lowwel ponds. I grew up about 3 blocks away and use to sneek in (I was under 10) and had a blast.  even then I found trash but It's worst now.  unfortunatlly the hole area has gone to pot pretty much.  have you been over to carl park lake we used to fill five gallon buckets with a empty gold hook with blue gill then count them as we put them back. I haven't been back in about 25 years to either place.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I walked the inlet of Estes today. The lake was low, and I went to see if thats where the Muskie were hiding (they weren't). Anyway, it was pathetic. I couldn't believe all the trash, in a place where you're not even supposed to fish!
I used to carry the doggie bags in my tackle box to clean up areas I fish. (Lots of bags in a real small container). That way I always had something to pick up trash. They're kind of expensive, so I went back to Safeway bags. Now though, I wad a bunch up in a zip-lock bag.

Fishinguitars --- Always an excellent topic. If you organize something far enough in advance, I'll take a day off to be there. However, that's kind off a temporary solution.

I have an idea. I think we should all get ColoradoFishermen.com Tees in a bright color. Or maybe even buckets w/ the logo. I'd be willing to pay for one. We could start signing up now, and maybe have enough people commit by spring. (I don't know how much putting the logo on buckets would be, but I know Tees are cheap). Then, next season whenever we fish we grab the bucket and fill it w/ trash. It would be wicked good advertising. Probably even get us some press. Maybe to encourage it there could be some swag or something. We could report (just name other members we saw out picking up. then they could be entered in a drawing (for something small like stickers or lures). 

Anyway, just an idea. :)
James

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ok not to be an *** or anything, but I think we all think it's a great idea, but nobody's throwing out WHERE AND WHEN?  I suggest the ponds at 88th and Colorado or someplace in north Denver as it seems like we have quite a few inspired Fort Collinsers on here (and I live in Denver, I'm selfish like that).  Or maybe FG would like us to help clean up one of his top-secret honey holes... Hel, even Quincy, i'm sure I could talk DOW into letting us in there for that purpose.
If it's on a weekend or early or late in a day I'm in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have to work weekends but I think this is a great idea. I will make extra trash bags a staple in my supply box. Make sure to gather up all the loose, tangled fishing line you find too. In Alaska I helped rescue a loon that was all wraped up in mono. Poor bird ended up losing a leg but I think it survived. It is ashame people clean out their reels and just chuck it on the bank or into the water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If we do it early in the day we can still get some fishing in before the sun goes down.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Was this ever decided? I'm going fishing somewhere somehow tomorrow so if anyone's interested I may go hit the Dream Stream or Waterton Canyon

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah, im think were going to dreamstream tomorrow morning. Ive got a van and live in security if anyone wants a lift. we leave around 430am. im bringin extra trash bags

I guess its important for all fisherman to look out for trash wherever they fish

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe the moderators can set up some kind of a pole. Another idea lets have a contest on this thread of who can clean up their fishing holes the most. Before and after pic's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts