Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any great ideas out there.

I often like to tie up my rigs the night before I head out to go fish, usually rig one rod up with my dries and another with my nymph rig. I usually seperate my rod in the middle and lay them down in the back of my truck camper with a towel over them to they dont fly around and get tangled, but curious if anyone has a great idea of how to transport set up rods. Someone has to have a great idea out there right? Its just not me!

I can travel with them put together with my back window down with the rod tip going up towards the driver, but trying to think about day trips where I might be driving two plus hours in the cold, and would like to be able to keep the windows up.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I don't pre set my rods, but if I'm mobile and fishing I hate to tear everything down just to go to a spot 10 minutes down the road, yet I get paranoid I'm going to bust a tip or something just leaving my set up rigged in the back of the truck with dogs and gear.

I've considered doing something like this, but for now I'm still gambling same as you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used to think the same way - just lay the rod down in the back of the truck with the rod tip through the window. 1000 miles away from home I tried that and broke the tip when I put the rod in and forgot the window was closed. Last time I opted to try that. Fortunately, the GLoomis company has a good warranty plan and they were good enough to fix the rod even though it was my error.

Now if I am traveling "distances" I break down the rod and string it up when I reach my destination. If only going a short distance - i.e 10 or 15 minutes down the road I used a rod holder that attaches to the hood of the truck. Look in any flyfishing catalog and you should find the type holder I am talking about. Most are magnetic and hold the rods just fine. I gave mine to a friend when I left Oregon as now I don't need it as I take very few short 10 minute drives as I prefer to pontoon rivers more than hiking them anymore.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
A PVC pipe notched at the base with a reel cover works just fine. You can lay them in the back of a truck, stick em out the window or even mount them to the top of your car. Best part about them is they are way cheaper than rod cases. I have a real nice extendable rod case that a good friend bought me that serves well when I don't want to pre-rig my rods, but the PVC pipe works well and I am able to break my rods down in half and leave them rigged without worry. Perfect solution for moving from spot to spot...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
what I use is a closed cell foam insulation tube that is used to insulate pipes in cold weather, a 6 foot section costs around $3.00 and you can get it at any hardware store

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm sorry...but no way in hell am I ever trusting ANY of my rods to the outside or top of my pickup! I have 2 spinning rods , pre rigged at all times in my truck for any little pond, stream, or river I happen across as I am driving. Both break down into 2 pieces and fit into their own hard cases like the one pistol dog posted, except they are made for spinning rods. Rods are safe and sound, inside my truck. I just let out a little slack from the reel before I break them down, and put them in the cases, and all is good! Since I started doing this, I have "discovered" an even dozen little honey holes that I have caught fish from just in my everyday travels! Nothing like a few quick casts and fish on to help relieve the stresses of the workday! Just my opinion...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a double case like what Pistoldog shows. Use a case made for a two piece rod so you're just breaking it down in half. I don't think breaking a fully rigged rod in four pieces would work that well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't pre set my rods, but if I'm mobile and fishing I hate to tear everything down just to go to a spot 10 minutes down the road, yet I get paranoid I'm going to bust a tip or something just leaving my set up rigged in the back of the truck with dogs and gear.

I've considered doing something like this, but for now I'm still gambling same as you.

i have the bottom one for my spinning rod so i can take it with me on my TL1000R sportbike and fish as well. ive done the rod out the backpack and anything above 80mph and the rod goes crazy. i get quite the odd looks on a sportbike with a white shimano flapping down the interstate...

for walleye fishing, boat etc. i use those lure sheeths. you wrap the lure and it secures the fabric with velcro around the lure. that keeps rods tidy boat, truck, kia. just have to keep track of the lure guard. its small fabric and a swift breeze donates it back to nature swiftly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just recently tried out putting my rod underneath my windshield wipers...definitely not the solution for 2+ hours but works well for spot hopping.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been transporting rigged rods under my truck camper shell by sticking through the opened sliding windows of the camper and truck back window (slide sideways, not up and down) for 8 years with never a broken rod. If it's cold and we're going a long ways, I just close the two windows to about a 2-3 inch opening and stuff a sweatshirt or something in the crack. But I also "half" break down rigged rods and twist-tie them all together to carry when the other guy drives and we're going a long way. A little tricky to manage the line to get it all snugged up on each rod, but works OK once you get used to it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What's your budget? Can't beat a Titan Vault if you want to spend a few hundred bucks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking to find a great idea that is cheap.. Wondering about a building a wood rack that I could place in my truck bed with some tight cords to keep my rod in place.. Somewhat like you might find in a bass boat to keep rods tied down while traveling on the water.. Just cant put in in my mind yet of that what would look like that would be safe and convenient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts