Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to get your fish home from an extended trip? Should i freeze the fish in bag of water, try to keep them on ice, or? We are not going to get home until Sunday? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
once you bag the fish and put in ice, crumple up and pack a bunch of newspaper in your cooler so there are no voids in there and its all packed in really tight tight.

·
Banned
191 Posts
just curious, but with the daily limit/possession laws, do you just date them so if you get stopped the rangers/game wardens know you don't have more than you should?

or how does that work?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where i am fishing you can have 10 walleye in your possession per person. Five per day is the daily limit to catch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use ziplocs and surround with plenty of ice. If it's hot out I have an old sleeping bag that I wrap over my cooler. Helps while traveling in back of truck. When is the fish fry??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the plastic tray that comes with the ice chest to freeze water - that gives you a block of ice that will usually last me two to three days depending on outside temps, the quality of the cooler, how often you open and close it, etc..

I fillet the fish, then put them into ziploc bags. I then put the block of ice on top of the bags of fish.

I read some advice a few years ago that said you want to be careful doing this because you can actually give the fish freezer burn. I haven't run into that problem but I'd imagine that could be an issue if you use dry ice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info folks. I am confident that my fillets will make it home safely.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
just curious, but with the daily limit/possession laws, do you just date them so if you get stopped the rangers/game wardens know you don't have more than you should?

or how does that work?
it doesn't work. just go to blue mesa when the jokanee fisherman are out, bumper boating it from friday to sunday filling up ice chests with kokanee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts