Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had always wanted to fish it and finally got a chance. Got there at 1 pm on Friday to practice for the CWA tournament. We got blown off the lake by wind and rain at 3 pm. Also found out the they had put a Bouy line across the west end to stop floating timber coming down stream, cutting off 1/4 of Lake on inlet end.

Day one I set up on the south side and started setting up my boards to troll. About a dozen teams headed down to the Bouy line. I barely had my boards out when my middle lead core rod went off. So 15 minutes in I had my first fish to weigh. Then it was a Slimer fest ? I caught probably 20 between 1 and 3 lbs? then it was pure misery all day! Wind, white caps and hail.

Day two the sun finally came out! Instead of being smart and joining the 15 boats combat fishing at the Bouy line, I pulled bouncers around an island just loaded with eyes. Finally at noon I gave in joined the fleet, lol. Caught one about an hour later, plus another 20 slimers? someone told me we ended up in 12th, but at that point I didn't give a ****! I hope to come back some day when it is warm and the bite is on.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinidad fishes a lot better for eyes after the first of June..always about a month behind Pueblo.
I just spent a half hour trying to wipe off trout blood on the side of my boat:mad:

If someone wants to kick the **** out of some big trout right now! Go there and troll a #7 chrome/chartreuse Flicker Shad. I literally had to take my boards off because I was sick of reeling them in to take off slimers. These were big fat McConahey bows!! They would take jump 3-4 feet above the water even with a board connected!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I just spent a half hour trying to wipe off trout blood on the side of my boat:mad:

If someone wants to kick the **** out of some big trout right now! Go there and troll a #7 chrome/chartreuse Flicker Shad. I literally had to take my boards off because I was sick of reeling them in to take off slimers. These were big fat McConahey bows!! They would take jump 3-4 feet above the water even with a board connected!
Come on Neal..you know this time of year it's low and slow...unless you're fishing for trout.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on Neal..you know this time of year it's low and slow...unless you're fishing for trout.
Ray and I found a bunch suspended out over the channel. His boat caught two and I got one out of that school. They stocked 30,000 fingerling trout two days before the tournament. I think that was why so many fish were up?

Playing bumper cars with 15 other boats in a confined space to catch 13" eye's is not my idea of fun!!!! Add 30 MPH gusts to fun also:mad:

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Walleye tourneys along with koke fishing = bumper boats...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
If it was 30 mph at Trinidad it would of been 300 mph at Glendo...Glendo and tornado have some similarity in their respective spellings...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, a lot of shorts in Trinidad. When you're in the shorts, you gotta move...sometimes just a bit deeper or shallower or on out to the edge of the school..just like Pueblo..they school up so much by size. At Pueblo the other day, one small 30x30 foot spot held a bunch of fish..caught eleven...all shorts..16 to 17 inches..Packed up ...launched again and hit a different spot..maybe 75 feet by 75 feet..caught another twenty one fish all between 17 and a half and 19 and a half inches. Just a different school of fish. Wind...love it for walleye fishing...to a point..hate it for comfort level.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, a lot of shorts in Trinidad. When you're in the shorts, you gotta move...sometimes just a bit deeper or shallower or on out to the edge of the school..just like Pueblo..they school up so much by size. At Pueblo the other day, one small 30x30 foot spot held a bunch of fish..caught eleven...all shorts..16 to 17 inches..Packed up ...launched again and hit a different spot..maybe 75 feet by 75 feet..caught another twenty one fish all between 17 and a half and 19 and a half inches. Just a different school of fish. Wind...love it for walleye fishing...to a point..hate it for comfort level.
I found a bunch on the bottom between two of the islands. The wind was a *****, so I just dragged small blades and a crawler thru them. They would just nip the ends off and not commit to that even.

I can handle big waves as long as the fish are aggressive. That is why I got a 20' boat! I saw the same thing at Pueblo. Kelly and I must of gone thru 80 eye's the week of the tourney to get the four keepers we caught on Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I found a bunch on the bottom between two of the islands. The wind was a *****, so I just dragged small blades and a crawler thru them. They would just nip the ends off and not commit to that even.
Yeah, if they're nipping the ends and you can't slow it down enough in the wind to give it back to them..my opinion..get out the jigs and plastics...up size the jigheads to 3/8ths..even a half ounce..gotta keep contact with the jig and break out the soft plastics. Cast...cast...and cast some more. I haven't used bait yet this year...just jigs and plastics.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, if they're nipping the ends and you can't slow it down enough in the wind to give it back to them..my opinion..get out the jigs and plastics...up size the jigheads to 3/8ths..even a half ounce..gotta keep contact with the jig and break out the soft plastics. Cast...cast...and cast some more. I haven't used bait yet this year...just jigs and plastics.
I haven't been using bait at Pueblo either. The fish at Trinidad wanted leechs held motionless right in from of them. I should of played bumper cars the whole day on Sunday:mad:

I would like to go back in June and just fish for fun. Really pretty place! The next two tournaments, Jumbo and Big Mac will be totally different! I need to get to Jumbo and fish it! Never been there before either?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I need to get to Jumbo and fish it! Never been there before either?[/QUOTE]

Jumbo can be a MF'er to launch and load if the wind blows....
BUT, some real FAT ones there...
If this rain don't quit, it'll take 4 wheel drive AND "chains' to get up the road to it....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to get to Jumbo and fish it! Never been there before either?
If this rain don't quit, it'll take 4 wheel drive AND "chains' to get up the road to it....[/QUOTE]

Yeah it needs to stop raining for a few days at least!! But it is supposed to pour today?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, it's been raining all morning at my house...probably everywhere else too. If it wasn't so cold, I'd still go fishing..but man I'm getting old and cold.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If this rain don't quit, it'll take 4 wheel drive AND "chains' to get up the road to it....
Yeah it needs to stop raining for a few days at least!! But it is supposed to pour today?[/QUOTE]

I just saw it was the 13th of June...
We 'should" be out of this crappy weather by then....:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts