Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been thinking about a move down there but I'm not sure about the fishing opportunities. Trout? Other? How far?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Trinidad Res. is a cool little reservoir!! I fished it for three days back in May for a CWA tournament. It has walleye, saugeye, perch, smallies and some wiper. The trout fishing there is unreal:eek: I must of caught at least 40 between 15-22 inches while fishing for walleye.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Trinidad Res. is a cool little reservoir!! I fished it for three days back in May for a CWA tournament. It has walleye, saugeye, perch, smallies and some wiper. The trout fishing there is unreal:eek: I must of caught at least 40 between 15-22 inches while fishing for walleye.

I fished the HDWA tourney the week before and couldn't keep the trout away, like Neal said it's fun to fish. it also has some monster fish there, the big cats and walleye are hard to get but double digits are possable

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Good lake-I don't get there enough. You didn't mention if you have a boat or not but that opens up a chance at more species if you do. Really nice campground on the north side of the lake-showers, good campsites.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'd use a boat if it is worthwhile. The fly fishing is actually simple- grab the rod/waders and go. I have a 12' aluminum fishing boat so that would work (I think). I saw one photo of a monster walleye out of that lake. I actually like a lot of different types of fishing.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
about the normal size in all the tournys I have fished there the fish run small 14-18 inches, so don't be disappointed, they want you to keep the small ones to help the bio mass. when the water is up you might find some flats on the south side to wade, but it is a hill land lake with sharp drop offs. I don't know if the river fishing in town is any good and I haven't gone up the river from the lake but I hear there a couple of trout spots up stream a few miles. we don't get many reports from there, so if you do move there please post some

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I used to do real well there for cats both channel and blues (5-15 lbs during the day or night) on cut baits, but I haven't been there in about seven years. Trout, perch and bass from shore were never hard to find, but nothing huge. One thing we did encounter quite a bit when night fishing and camping were mountain lion and bear. Like Kirby said nice campground with facilities and a pretty clean lake compared to others to the north.

I did trout fish on three of the other lakes up the hill this summer and did quite well.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Hi, been thinking about a move down there but I'm not sure about the fishing opportunities. Trout? Other? How far?
The fishing is great around there.. You have the res which is a bit dirty but has decent smallmouth and eye fishing. I have heard of cats too, but I know not of kittys. North lake and Monument lake are less than a half hour (beautiful drive) away and if you can find stream access, the small water fishing is great, especially on the north side of the pass.

Eagles Nest is a little over an hour away.

I dig the Trinidad arae and would love to live there.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
The fishing is great around there.. You have the res which is a bit dirty but has decent smallmouth and eye fishing. I have heard of cats too, but I know not of kittys. North lake and Monument lake are less than a half hour (beautiful drive) away and if you can find stream access, the small water fishing is great, especially on the north side of the pass.

Eagles Nest is a little over an hour away.

I dig the Trinidad arae and would love to live there.
I really like eagles nest. I need to fish there more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts