Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions on a good rod and reel for trolling. I usually pull bottom bouncers or use lead core. I might also want to use the rod/reel for casting crankbaits and something that works for both would probably be best. I usually fish areas like Chatfield/Aurora. Price isn't the main issue (within reason), I would prefer to pay a little more than to have problems. What do you have that you like?

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have a saltwater rod and a penn reel that i use for trolling leadcore. i like it alot

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jay, looks like there is lots of gear at those sites. I do like to find a deal. It would be nice to know what brands are best before buying though. I see brands like Tsunami and Okuma, what brands would you look for? I wouldn't like to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I have 2, 8'6ft Okuma rod/reel combos for trolling. And while I have yet to use them Im impressed so far. Smooth reels and stong backbone on the rods. Im not one to spend $100's of dollors on rods(I spend it all on tackle and my boat).

Id just look around and ask. I heard of the Okuma brand from www.lakemichiganangler.com and figure if its good enough for the great lakes it should work for me.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price is very good on those Okuma rigs. I'm going to try to find some comsumer info on them if I can. What kind of boat did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use a Shimano rod/reel combo, use it in Minnesota and everywhere else you can troll, never had a problem and has great action. it also works great for what ever else you want to do with it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My all-around rod (used for light trolling and about everything else) is a 6.5' Ugly Stick Lite medium action combo. I like the versatility of this combo as well as the price.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay, nice looking boat, bet you can't wait to get it out. Having that kicker should give you some trolling options. I just have a 43lb Motorguide bow mount electric on a 16' Tracker, a little undersized I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Cabelas depthmaster II linecounter reels for leadcore? I am not a big fan of graphite body reels, but the price looks pretty good. They also have the more expensive metal body depthmaster gold.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
carpslinger said:
Has anyone had any experience with the Cabelas depthmaster II linecounter reels for leadcore? 
Thats what I run for my leadcore setup(I dont think its ver.II though) And really like it. I might buy another one to run a 2 or 3 color setup.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Id just look around and ask. I heard of the Okuma brand from www.lakemichiganangler.com and figure if its good enough for the great lakes it should work for me.
Okuma makes incredible reels for a great price. My understanding is that they've made reels for other companies for many years. Last summer I switched all of my reels over to Okuma. I am a believer. I don't have any experience with their rods though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a few other things on Okuma, not much but nothing negative. They look like a decent choice to me. Did you go with the Magda reels? At $34.99-$44.99 (on sale) for a line counter, that looks like a great price for a trolling reel. It appears to at least be very functional (maybe functional is an understatement), do you know if it comes with a few spools and whether they can be pretty easily switched out?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I haven't bought any trolling type reels from okuma, so I'm not sure about the specific model you're describing. I have several spinning models (Avenger and Metaloid) a fly reel (Sierra) and a low profile baitcaster (Nemesis) You can change the spool on the Nemesis in about 3 seconds via a side trap door (very good for removing backlashes as well) but it only comes with the one spool. I'm not sure if the trolling reels are the same or not. My understanding is that Okuma's salt water and trolling reels are very high quality.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info F Ted. I think the reels you're mentioning are more high end than the one I was asking about. I think their higher end stuff looks to be excellent as you confirm. The lower priced models such as the Magda trolling reel, that's harder to judge. I know it's graphite and only 2 ball bearing, that may be an issue. It looks well built in the pictures.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found this comment from a "SELLER!!!!" on EBAY. A little scary as far as Okuma goes.

Used one time Okuma pro magda 45dx line counter reel.  Includes box and paperwork. 

I bought this reel and spooled it up for a fishing trip to the gulf.  What a pice of junk.  The drag is  grabby and the level wind has a tendency to hang.  I would have sent it back but I didn't keep the receipt.  I ended up buying a penn which is what you should do if you really want something to use.

But, if you wan't something to loan to your brother in law or if you know something I don't about these reels, then buy this one cheep.  My guess is that it is good as any other Okuma, which isn't saying much

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm using the Cabelas Depthmaster with the pole that the line runs thru the inside and I really like it. I'm using 50 lb spider line instead of lead core. I've used it on Carter & Horsetooth & it works great.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts