Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about ordering a few UV green Shasta 6" dodger blades, using one about 4 feet in front of a Taz Devil. Anyone ever try this or think its a good idea or worth the effort and cost? Also, I was thinking about the use of a few weights in front of the dodger to make it run deeper, not having a downrigger. The lakes I fish do not have lake trout, but have bows, browns and kokanee.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
I troll with a set of cowbells and a TAZ and have decent success, if you want to troll deeper you can make yourself a poor mans down rigger with an old pole, a HD reel (4000 series or better), a 1-2lb weight and 60 lb braid.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Everything I have read and what I use is about 18-20 inches of leader.
Four feet would make it hard for me to land a decent fish in my kayak.
I use a Scotty Lake troll downrigger with a homemade weight.
I have flat lined lures behind a dodger and caught fish.
Will be fishing Blue Mesa next week with this rig chasing Kokanee. Might try the Dodger and a bright Gulp minnow.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The dodger can be used for flash and action like a set of bells but without the extra drag. If you put it closer to the lure it gives the lure some extra action too. Especially helpful with those soft squid type lures.

Smear some sent gel on the dodger and that way you don't have to gum up your lures.

Blue Mesa is worth the drive. Fish go deep as the sun gets higher. You will catch more if you are able to go deeper. Snap weights and leadcore won't get your gear down to where it needs to be like a downrigger. Be ready -- winds come up and will blow you off the lake later in the morning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the tips. When I travel to Colorado, I dont pull my large boat and just take an inflatable raft (Mariner 4) with trolling motor. I think it would be tough to mount a downrigger to my raft. I was planning to use a 2oz inline sinker in front of the flasher.

Chris

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
depending on how fast your trolling a two ounce won't get you down to any real depth, when we troll for lakers at grandly we use a minimum five ounce ball trolling at 1.5 mph in seventy fow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts