Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Guest pro charger 2611A, It charges 2- 12V batteries hooked up together for my MinnKota trolling motor. 24  system. It is 1 year old. The batteries 1 year old as well. I noticed that this year, one of my batteries is getting hot while charging and the other not. .Also, I just noticed that there is a little water bubbling out of he top. The hot battery also will not charge and smells funny when charging. Is the hot smelly battery needing replaced?. Or is it a charger problem. ?It is definitely above my head. I use the minnkota little meter checker on the batteries, and it says full charge on the non smelling battery,and no charge on the stinky hot battery. The smell is coming from the hot, non charging battery. Anyone heard of this before and have any troubleshooting ideas for me.? Thanks for any advice.

·
0 Posts
My guess would be the smelly battery is no good. If I was having this problem I would take the battery to a parts store and have them check it. Most places will do it for free.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since we're on the subject of batteries, and this is NOT an attempt to shanghai a topic, but what type of battery do you think has the best use life? I know these new gel cells boast being far superior, but at a couple hundred bucks a piece... are they worth it?

·
Registered
699 Posts
yes they are man and i will tellyou why i think so i have a ramsey rep 8000 winch n my jeep and with the old style if i didnt leave the jeep idleing i would end up with a dead battery or a meltdown in 5 to 8 minutes but with my optima red top i can winch nonstop with out the motor running for fifteen minutes the yellow top will give thirty minutes and the blue top marine will run a 50lb trolling motor for 2 days without a recharge and still start the truck lol

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
I have two Optima Blue tops for trolling...I bit the bullet because I lived in a 3rd floor condo for a few years with no place to charge...other than lugging them up stairs...no battery acid...no fumes...lighter weight...no corrosion...and they last for ever...I fish Aurora a lot...I also have one for starting on my Honda and run all the hardware...it is a great battery...I wont buy anything else ever again...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wont buy anything else ever again
from their cycle data you should need to for a good long time. i just got a set myself and ya, their expensive and ya they dont have the same reserve capacity but i can get two full days of trolling on them. i hardly ever use my outboard anymore. i like the way they discharge too. they give it all they got till they aint got no more.

for the guy with the bad battery if you got the money, get them. if you dont, dont. i would put the money into the best trolling motor i could get first even if i had to buy batteries every year. powerdrive, autopilot, & co-pilot are the best invention since the fishing pole.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Steamboat said:
Is the hot smelly battery needing replaced?. Or is it a charger problem. ?
Sounds like your charger cooked your battery. If your battery is less than two years old, there should be nothing wrong with it. However, if your charger is not shutting off properly when the battery reaches full charge, it will cook the battery. Get ahold of Guest. They probably have a good warranty on the charger. They should send you a new one. ALSO, for those of you who have gel cell batteries, they are great, but you need to make sure the charger you have is calibrated for a gel cell. They charge differently than wet cells do and your charger if not calibrated will shut off too early. This will reduce the performance of the battery over time. You can call the charger manufacturer and they will be able give you details on what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts