Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a trolling motor.

I have a speed boat, I/O, with a swim deck so I can't mount to a transom. I am not confident that I have enough wall on the bow that I can mount on the front, either.

Can I attach to the swim deck? If so, would I not need as much shaft as I would if I put it on the bow?

Do I need to get a specific bracket for the bow or for a rear mount (on the swim deck) or are they one-size-does-all?

Can't afford the fancy foot-pedal or remote control models. Any recommendations on an affordable hand controlled unit?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Um, buy a fishing boat! :eek:

Or, check out boats similar to yours at the marina and see how they handled the problem. It's very likely that others have been down this road before. Possibly you'll have to adapt or fabricate a bracket for your new trolling motor.

I like a speed boat for fishing because you can get where you want to go quickly, especially off the water when storms come in.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
My dad used to have a 21’ Larson bowrider with a swim platform.

He had a trolling motor bracket custom made under the platform that you could remove when not using the fishing motor. Worked great. Wasn’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, buy a fishing boat! :eek:

Or, check out boats similar to yours at the marina and see how they handled the problem. It's very likely that others have been down this road before. Possibly you'll have to adapt or fabricate a bracket for your new trolling motor.

I like a speed boat for fishing because you can get where you want to go quickly, especially off the water when storms come in.
I got a speed boat for that very reason. Granby gets nasty quick and the I'm usually at the far end of where I park the trailer. My old pontoon boat moved against the wind with all the gusto of a ferris wheel.

I've searched Google for pics of a trolling motor on a swim deck with no luck. Same for Youtube. Apparently I'm the first idiot that wants to trick out a speed boat for fishing.

I called Bass Pro and the guy told me if I mount it to a swim deck "everything will be backwards." Does the shaft not allow one to spin the controls? I'm obviously very new at this! Need answers but I don't live anywhere near a boat motor retailer so I can't exactly kick any tires. Plus, I'm hoping to save some money by buying used/Craigslist. Since I wouldn't be able to return such a purchase I need to know exactly what I'm looking for before buying.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dad used to have a 21’ Larson bowrider with a swim platform.

He had a trolling motor bracket custom made under the platform that you could remove when not using the fishing motor. Worked great. Wasn’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've come across info telling me I'll need a custom bracket. However, it seems like those are for old-school trolling outboard motors vs the new-fangled motors that are much less bulkier.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
actually the newer motors are a lot heavier than the motors of the past, a lot more bells and whistles built in adds more weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts