Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've pretty much found the parts I believe need replacing on my T-Motor. Now, a couple of quick questions.

Have any of you ever replaced the guts of your lower unit in your Minn Kota T-Motor. If so, is it a difficult rebuild?

Also, when resealing the lower unit (with the back plate that goes on just before the prop), is it advised by anyone of you to run a bead of Silicone RTV around that seal to keep water out? Or just rely on the o-ring at that seal?

I tend to believe (after opening the housing, and seeing some copper corrosion, as well as smelling a burnt electrical smell) that some water had leaked in...ever so slightly. Thus my inquiry on the Silicone seal.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

J. R. R. Trollin'Ken O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
I recently had the lower unit opened on my old unit. I put it back together with the o-ring still in mint condition. I would say do the same thing. I'm just afraid if you shut it with silicon it won't come back open unless you're ready for the fight of your life. Minn Kota is actually very good about providing some technical support by phone even if you are out of warranty. If I remember right you'll press the options to speak to someone about parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I had to fix the MotorGuide TM on my boat last summer. It wasn't very hard to do. I used Jones Trolling Motors for part and some troubleshooting advise. I had to replace the some parts in the lower unit. I cleaned everything really good down there and even thought the o-ring looked good, I did use a small bead of silicone sealer around both ends just as an extra safety measure. So far, so good with my repair.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top