Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

When you are fishing from a boat which do you prefer?


  • Total voters
    1
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I enjoy the variety of fishing, and love casting, I voted for trolling. Unfortunately, too much casting kills my back. I do both, but I spend more time trolling with my Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot. For a precise presentation there's plenty of detail involved (from line size, to lure, to lip, to snap weights, to downriggers, to planer boards, to monitoring the fishfinder, to depth, to location, to speed, etc). Having two lines in the water all of the time usually catches more fish & bigger fish than just one (not talking about bass, but I believe this applies with walleye, trout, pike, lakers, and many others- IMO). Fire away :p Let's hear some good debate or at least see an interesting poll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
LOL, you know how I voted...based on the conversation we had in Gander that night.

Me no like the trolling, unless it involves interwebs forums.. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrwigglestheworm said:
LOL, you know how I voted...based on the conversation we had in Gander that night.

Me no like the trolling, unless it involves interwebs forums.. :D
I will say getting into jerkbaits over the 11 months has made me enjoy casting so much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,509 Posts
Trolling isnt watching paint dry but it is close, but sometimes it is the presentation that makes the most sense...whatever works...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zman said:
Trolling isnt watching paint dry but it is close, but sometimes it is the presentation that makes the most sense...whatever works...
I'll be the first to admit I've fallen asleep too many times while trolling, but that might have a little to do with the 3-5 hours of sleep I get before fishing, only to stay on the water 12-16 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,425 Posts
I have caught, and seen caught dozens of walleye over 7lb and a handful over 9 one over 11 all caught during bass tournaments. All of these fish were o obviously caught casting. I would have to disagree with your statement that more big fish are caught trolling. You can't troll in trees that are in 2FOW(as an example).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
I know trolling can be effective, but it's not for me. I have almost zero interest in catching fish that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,509 Posts
Actually Longdraw it probably is an accurate statement at least as far as big walleyes in tournaments go...a numbers thing as far as amount of water covered combined with boards produces more big walleyes for the tournament guys...I've been out with Zelinsky who was on the tourny trail (PWT) and how he turns trolling/boards into a science to develope a pattern and a big fish pattern on Chatfield of all places...and most nights get a fish approaching 30 inches or multiple fish...yes he might have got them casting...but with trolling he can cover more water and do it more systematically to put the odds more on his side than he could of casting...and ironically I know he does the same thing on Spinney and Elevenmile to put huge northern pike in the boat for his clients...also I have heard him describe methods on the great lakes with boards to cover swaths up to nearly a quarter mile wide in search of big fish with multiple rods and multiple depths to establish the pattern and thereby catching more and bigger fish...its funny he wishes he could drill enough holes ice fishing to troll...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
The only time I troll is if I am getting mass drunk or if my arm is tired from casting. I have caught bigger eyes trolling than casting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Use them both.. They are both very effective. I will never never limit myself to one style of fishing!!!

Also if all you are doing when you troll is drive in circles hoping to get lucky FYI you are doing it wrong.... , and probably dont do well at it. which explains why you don't like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
I never troll at all. The biggest walleye I've ever caught was casting during a bass tournament. I like to be a little pro-active and cast to cover and structure as opposed to pulling the lure along and hoping for a hit.

With that being said, I used to troll for trout all the time with my dad when I was a kid. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
wanzek said:
Use them both.. They are both very effective. I will never never limit myself to one style of fishing!!!

Also if all you are doing when you troll is drive in circles hoping to get lucky FYI you are doing it wrong.... , and probably dont do well at it. which explains why you don't like it.
X2. Both techniques have their merits. Trolling in 2 FOW through trees just wont work...casting to suspended or bottom hugging eyes in 25+ FOW wont work either (at least as efficiently). A good fisherman can do either depending on what is required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
setthehook said:
wanzek said:
Use them both.. They are both very effective. I will never never limit myself to one style of fishing!!!

Also if all you are doing when you troll is drive in circles hoping to get lucky FYI you are doing it wrong.... , and probably dont do well at it. which explains why you don't like it.
X2. Both techniques have their merits. Trolling in 2 FOW through trees just wont work...casting to suspended or bottom hugging eyes in 25+ FOW wont work either (at least as efficiently). A good fisherman can do either depending on what is required.
Another thought to add to the trolling.. there are times when you almost have to dig a trench with your cranks to entice a bite, hard to do that casting.

Time and place for everything.

P.S. if I can find the bite casting I would prefer it.... A jig bite for me is the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,341 Posts
I think a lot of it can be more species specific. trout and eyes seem to be caught trolling by lots of folks, I don't recall to many reports of bass fishermen trolling. with pike, I will often leave a casting lure out behind the boat when moving spots, but I don't consider it trolling. Also, some lakes are better suited to trolling than others, JMO
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top