Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a plastic trolling plate (Cabellas Hydro-Troll) on my 125 HP Merc. that had the sheer pins. After 13 years it broke.

It worked but was plastic and the sheer pins were a PITA. I have some extra sheer pins if someone has one of these and can use them.

I replaced it with this model.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...T.z_btnclk=YMAL-1803220&WT.z_pg_ref=prd737690

Built like a tank and no sheer pins.
Very happy with it.

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I had a trolling plate on my last fishing boat. Hated it. Made the boat almost as hard to drive in reverse as my V-Drive.

If I were going to troll, and needed to go that slow, I think I would rather use my electric.

Nevertheless, thanks for the review.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've never used a trolling plate, the old timer Kokanee trollers used to like them.
I've done a lot of trolling and still do mostly in Saltwater.
Hey Ryan wish we had a go pro video of us trolling in AK when you came up.
So much for the trolling is boring theory, lol.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Dump the trolling plate..
Why drill HOLES in Your motor?
Get a "drift Sock" .... a size listed for Your size boat..
Works like a champ and 1/4 th the price....
Oh Yeah... 100 % BETTER BOAT control..

·
P I K E
10,274 Posts
Since this thread is fishing related I moved it here to the lounge. Good info snagged! I also had the same plate on my older boat and hated the sheer pins but plate did do it's job. Another good thing this plate did was while in the up position it cut down the porpoirseing of my 16' fiberglass boat on plain. Another good budget trolling device is a simple 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it to drag behind the boat on a rope.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've never used a trolling plate, the old timer Kokanee trollers used to like them.
I've done a lot of trolling and still do mostly in Saltwater.
Hey Ryan wish we had a go pro video of us trolling in AK when you came up.
So much for the trolling is boring theory, lol.
Yeah, Slayer surely wouldn't have liked that trip. Trolling is NEVER any fun.....:wink:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem with pulling any type device to slow you down is the possibility of a fish getting tangled up in the rope. Been there. Especially in windy conditions.

This has worked for me for 20+ years.
Yes you loose some boat control.
Simple, easy.
1 motor to maintain, no batteries, etc.
Personal choice like all things.
I believe in K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I have had 3 and hated them all, drift socks suck bad boat control the bucket works to a degree now I troll with my big motor 2.9 or more and the terova from .1 to 1 mph if I need to troll from 1 mph to 2.9 I use the terova pushing backwards and the 115 in forward for all speeds in between and you can steer the boat from both motors, that's real handy when you have 6 lines out with 4 boards

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I used to use Drift socks/Sea anchors tied to bow each side set mid side of boat works well stays out of the way and actually helps stabilize in rough water.
My new boat trolls slower so don't need them anymore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts