Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any advise about trolling plates that attach to your outboard. I have a 2005 tracker 16' with 40 hp . If they work without problems it would save a bunch verse buying a kicker motor. my concern would be extra stress on the main outboard.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I know they make a few diffrent versions. There is one that you manually put up and down and there is also some that have springs on them that will stay down untill you 'get on it' which will force the plate up.

If your only running alittle faster than you want to you could also throw a couple buckets off the front of the boat to slow you down.

Im still pretty new to the whole fishing from a boat thing.

hope this helps

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I don't have one on my current boat, but my previous boat had one of those Cabela's Hydro-troll models. I never could get the thing to reliably lock in the up position when I wanted it to and I went through plenty of sheer pins and just finally gave up on it. As to which one to get, the topic has come up on other boards and the usual recommendation is the Happy Troller which is available everywhere:

I think one of these is worthwhile if you don't want to to spend the $$ on an electric trolling motor or kicker -- my grandfather fished with one for years on his boat.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've thought about just using a electric transom mount but my old boat had a kicker that locked up to the main motor and using the steering wheel was a nice feature when trolling.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Tom, I got a Trol-A-Matic trolling plate from Cabelies a couple of years ago and use it on my Merc 90, works great, its spring loaded, I had one of the manual locking ones the year before and I thought it was a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the happy troller nad it works well.
if you need to slow down it seems to work the best for me I have had it for years with no problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there slow troller,
I have the happy troller on my johnson 110. It works amazingly well. I couldnt put a trolling motor on my old boat so i went with the trolling plate. It is inexpensive and very easy to install. I have been happy with it.

Catman

p.s. Check out the Cabelas bargin cave on-line or in the store. I got mine there and save a lot.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
You COULD spend extra money on a trolling plate, BUT I find it easier to rig a drift sock on a rope from the front eye on the boat. Just make sure to adjust the rope so it is at least 3-4 feet from the motor..... a lot cheaper and boat control is great. Get them at Cabelas or Bass Pro.....

JIMI R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts