Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to what speed most people like to troll at.I know that there are diffrent factors involved,but what speed for leadcore and flashers?How about just pulling crankbaits and spoons?I know its trial and error but i am just curious what some rule of thumbs are.I was trolling today at 1.5-1.7mph(water41deg)and caught a couple,but not the results i had hoped for,so I decided to cover the water faster(2.3-2.4mph)and had better results,with bigger fish.Any advice would be appreciated.

lyn

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Slow as I can go (.9 - 1.2), maybe average 1.8, and up to 2.5 at times.

In other states up to 3.5 for stripers or salmon.

I start from my average in general for; walleye slower, lakers average, kokane average or slower, Rainbows, average.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow,i am suprised at how slow the speeds are.I was looking at the action on a couple of crankbaits going 1.4-1.5mph and it seemed to me that they had very little action to them,but I will try the slower speeds and see what happens.Thanks for the info.

lyn

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually BigBlue I said UNLESS it is GPS it might be way off. GPS is very acurate I think, I can drive my car at 5 and 70 with my handheld GPS and the GPS matches my speedometer almost perfectly. I think GPS would beat what you are suggesting. That's my opinion at least.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The funny thing is until last year I never knew how fast i was going,come to find out i was running almost 3mph(that was how fast my motor ran while idle).Finally got a GPS last year.But now I am probably overly concerned with trolling speed.I caught alot of fish hauling ass. ::)

lyn

·
Registered
769 Posts
I always rely on the GPS for speed. Have the paddle wheel input for my sonar but find that it can
vary by quite a little from minute to minute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts