Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on the idea of using 20# wire line for trolling. Several methods of rigging were described, bottom bouncing, 3-way rigging, and using slip sinkers as inline weights. Wire cuts through the water and gets down much faster than leadcore and goes very deep with enough weight. The lures remain near the boat where the electronics are picking up terrain and the fish. Supposedly it's easy to feel the bottom with wire. It seems easier than using dipsy divers, down riggers and even leadcore. Does anybody use it, it looks promising to me?
The only downsides that I can come up with is that it is hard on rod tips and unless the drag is set very loose it might rip the lure out.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Have the In Fisherman lake trout video and they used wire. You need a rod with roller guides. It seemed to really work well, they where fishing 100' and almost straight down when trolling.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read about the wire idea in an In Fisherman publication on Walleyes. They must like wire.

They say roller guides are nice but not necessary. They recommend one at the tip and admit the top guide may wear out and need to be replaced if rollers are not used.

According to them wire gets down almost as well as down riggers and it is easier to feel the rig following the bottom structure that with any other method due to the feel of the wire on the rod.

Neal/CO, if you catch this post, I wonder if you have used it or know what some of the problems might be. I believe you are among the the most experienced trollers on this site and I always read your posts.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I use wire line all the time. It works great. A fairly fast action rod with 20-50 lb super line works as well or even better in my opinion. You will need 4-10 oz weights to get down to the bottom in 50-100 feet of water. I have weights to about 20 oz for even deeper water, but you have to have what Jay calls broom handles rods for that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tal0362, you are also a very experienced troller on this site and I always apreciate your input. I have several questions if you don't mind. By super line do a you mean a high strength mono or do you mean braided line? Do either of them cut through the water like wire? I know they are easier to work with than abrasive wire line. Also, when do you use downriggers and dipsy divers instead of just using wire? Wire seems much easier. One last question, can wire be used with planer boards?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Fisheyes,

Super line = braided spectra line like power pro, fireline, spider wire, etc. Mono doesn't work well, there is too much drag and line stretch. With mono, you can't feel the bottom as well and the weight has a tendency to stick (hit bottom and stay while the line stretches, allowing the lure to drop an possibly snag). Superlines cut throught the water even better than wire - they are smaller in diameter, and have near zero stretch. I find the the right angle is 35-45 degrees from horizontal to maintain close bottom contact and not get snagged. Adjust your weight accordingly. You should bump bottom it you drop the rod tip 4-6 feet.

Re Planner boards, ussually I want the weight close to the bottom -so you are constantly changing depth therefore it's not for planner boards. I suppose you could use offshore planner boards (mast type) that would support the heavy weight if you were on a flat area or searching for suspended fish (with superline sinced wire has a tendency to kink if it is not kept under tension.)

You can run dipsy's off the side and downriggers along with wirelines. With downriggers you have to be careful with the amount of line you let out behind the ball. Droping the downrigger after the wire line rod is out is fairly easy(no tangles), but when you are droping the wire line over the top of the downriggers the wire line weight can drop onto the downrigger lure if your not careful.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TAL0362, thanks for the helpful information. On using planer boards I was thinking of mast type to move the lures from directly behind the boat.

I didnt' realize the super lines were that small of diameter, they should put using pure wire out to pasture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts