Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in eastern nebraska and needless to say there is no trout fishing, but I'm taking a trip to colorado and really want to fish for trout. Thinking i will be doing mostly lake fishing though. Does anyone have any advice for getting a nice lake trout?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Are you talking about wanting to catch trout(Rainbow,brown, ect) in lakes?? or are you actually talking about lake trout aka Mackinaw?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go flyfish lake john or any of the other north park lakes in about 3 weeks. should have no problem sticking some troutskis up there at ice off and you could always luck into a big one or two.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Are you talking about wanting to catch trout(Rainbow,brown, ect) in lakes?? or are you actually talking about lake trout aka Mackinaw?
X2 on this question.

Assuming you are talking about trout ie. Rainbows, browns ex. They are not hard to catch at all in CO. I mostly find fish in depths of 4-20 feet in lakes. Anything from fly fishing, hardware as in small mepps and panther martins, small spoons, baits like power bait or worms a foot ot two off the bottom, tube jigs and even jerkbaits. As a general rule you're gunna want light gear (like pan fish type gear) light action rod, spinning reel with 4-6# mono for most trout applications. One thing to keep in mind about trout is they are more line shy than most fish. Sometimes they are aggressive but they tend to be less aggressive than a lot of other species. They will bite light a lot and be thinking of finesse type fishing for trout for the most part. ..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Actual lake trout mackinaw are a different species all together (char). Personally I usually only ice fish for macs. Open water you will usually need a boat. Fish will seldom be at depths less than 40 feet and may be much deeper (most of the year). I believe large macs are basically exclusively piscavoirs. If you do happen to catch a large mac please release it as these are very old fish and lack abundance in CO. Tight lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And ill be staying with family in denver but have heard that chat field is decent as well as aurora and have heard mixed things about cherry creek

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Trout in all 3 of those lakes. Aurora is $$ for some fast action on bowskis. Just gotta find em. ;)

Honestly if you don't care about size, hit up Evergreen with green or orange sparkle power bait on a small slip sinker rig. You'll do well.

Only 20 minutes from Denver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trout in all 3 of those lakes. Aurora is $$ for some fast action on bowskis. Just gotta find em. ;)

Honestly if you don't care about size, hit up Evergreen with green or orange sparkle power bait on a small slip sinker rig. You'll do well.

Only 20 minutes from Denver.
What he said, Evergreen seems to always be stocked

·
Registered
196 Posts
Western Nebraska has 9 mile creek that is LOADED with trout. There are roughly 1.7 million stocker rainbows in Douglas lake right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When trout fishing in lakes here in Denver do you still use lures and casting with jerkbaits/spoons or do you go with a powerbait/dough/salmon roe?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
All methods work. I hate powerbait for trout. They gut hook more often than not.

I prefer spinner fishing. But that's just because I am terrible at fly fishing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wade out about 10 feet and cast small spoons / flatfish lures. rod tip low / slow retrieve. I use 2 inch nickle flatfish lures and they hit like bricks here in CO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts