Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just read about a man from clovis NM who was caught by NM game wardens with 1,600 trout, 160 times his limit. bond was set at $2,500 and the department is seeking $8,000 in restitution to cover the loss of the trout. 5o cents per fish is a slap on the hand, 10 dollars per fish would be much closer to what it should be

·
Registered
217 Posts

CLOVIS, N.M. (KRQE) – The Department of Game and Fish has seized more than 1,600 rainbow trout from a man in Clovis, all of which came from city parks.

“I have never seen anything like it before,” said Cpl. Tyson Sanders.

Bounchanh Bounsombath, 62, was arrested Monday accused of having more than 160-times the legal limit of fish.

He told officers he caught all them at the Green Acres Lake and Dennis Chaves Pond in Clovis.

According to state law, licensed anglers can catch and keep up to five rainbow trout per-day and can have ten trout at their home at a time.

The department says Bounsombath did not follow these rules when it came to catching all of those trout.

KRQE News 13 spoke with Bounsombath about the allegations.

He says he was short on cash and he was saving the fish to put food on the table for his family.

Local fishermen say they understand.

Game and Fish says it’s seeking $8,000 in restitution for the trout.

According to court records, Bounsombath was arrested in 2013 for the same crime.

Bounsombath pleaded guilty to charges of unlawful possession of rainbow trout, exceeding the bag limit on multiple occasions and exceeding the possession limit.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
One more zero Byron...that's $5.00 a fish. I'd imagine with this being his second offense and having to post a bond that additional fines and penalties may be forthcoming.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Not justifying what happened, but if this is his 2nd offense, and he is doing this to "put food on the table for his family", and he lives in Clovis, NM, it probably doesn't matter what the fine is, he is unlikely to be able/willing to pay it.

1600 fish is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This story is from May.....way to stay current, WS . :llama:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts