Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread from about a year ago surrounding the legality of fishing trout egg sacks for trout, but I don't remember any resolution to that. The regs seem to say that using any part of a game fish such as trout as bait is illegal.

Can anyone tell me the definitive rule to apply to this, or at least point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i dont think its illegal , i have used roe alot for lakers, mainly i use kokanee salmon roe, though i saved some eggs from a female trout to try

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fisheye said:
I remember a thread from about a year ago surrounding the legality of fishing trout egg sacks for trout, but I don't remember any resolution to that. The regs seem to say that using any part of a game fish such as trout as bait is illegal.

Can anyone tell me the definitive rule to apply to this, or at least point me in the right direction?
i dont see in the regs where it say using "any" part of a game fish as bait is illegal could you link to it or post a quote

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
i just read the fishing regs, (again) It does not specifically say you can't or can use eggs from fish you caught as bait. Trout are not listed as a fish that is acceptable as bait. So a person could make an argument since eggs are a stage in a the life of a fish they would not be permissible.

Who knows? The regs don't give a clear answer.

Yet another section of the regs that ColoradoFisherman.com members have noticed as vague and questionable.

Dan

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
Dan said:
  So a person could make an argument since eggs are a stage in a the life of a fish they would not be permissible. 

Dan
    Oh Oh !!!! LOL...  Is this going to turn into a pro-choice debate?
     >:D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
TthePikester said:
Dan said:
So a person could make an argument since eggs are a stage in a the life of a fish they would not be permissible.

Dan
Oh Oh !!!! LOL... Is this going to turn into a pro-choice debate?
>:D
i dont know what to say to that ::)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ITs not Ilegal Ive used them before and told the ranger that was checking my licence what I was using. He didn't say anything about it being not legal.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Rad said:
ITs not Ilegal Ive used them before and told the ranger that was checking my licence what I was using. He didn't say anything about it being not legal.
one rangers opinion is not the LAW.

rangers can and do ,make mistakes (way too many) one ranger at one lake might let it go but another cross town might bust ya, and we still dont know which one would be right

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Fowl_Hooked said:
The regs clearly state that fish eggs are bait. It makes no distinction on species
yes but they do not clairify the mothod of procurement, that could be interpreted as commercially produced

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't know RK. I think I'll take my chances on this one.
BAIT: Hand-moldable material designed to attract fish by taste or smell. Devices with scents or
smell attractants added or externally applied, regardless if added during manufacturing or after.
Scented manufactured fish eggs and traditional organic baits, including but not limited to worms,
grubs, crickets, leeches, minnows, dough baits, stink baits, insects, crayfish, human food, fish, fish
parts or fish eggs.
straight from
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/0103038D-E4F0-4C90-B077-2A6F2E4363CA/0/06fishbrochure.pdf

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Fowl_Hooked said:
The regs clearly state that fish eggs are bait. It makes no distinction on species
I agree with Fowl Hooked on this one.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
before i respond, i "feel" the same and personaly would use eggs. i still feel the regs dont clearly permit this. if we use the same judgement based on the above quote, particularly
fish
parts or fish eggs.
since fish parts are mention right along with fish eggs without limitation to speices, then "parts of" trout could be used as bait. yet when i posted the querry on ussing trout bellies as bait some time ago most felt that it was prohibited.

i dont think we can prove one way or another with the limited info forund in the reg pamphlets. i am still hoping to to find easy public access to the full code and there is were we might be able to answer this and many other vague regs.

most important to this thread is that folks that thought they were doing something totaly legal now realize there is some vagueness to the regs concerning this they will have to decide for them selves, knowing the every ranger they run across "could" interpret this differently

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
before i respond, i "feel" the same and personaly would use eggs. i still feel the regs dont clearly permit this. if we use the same judgement based on the above quote, particularly
fish
parts or fish eggs.
since fish parts are mention right along with fish eggs without limitation to speices, then "parts of" trout could be used as bait. yet when i posted the querry on ussing trout bellies as bait some time ago most felt that it was prohibited.

i dont think we can prove one way or another with the limited info forund in the reg pamphlets. i am still hoping to to find easy public access to the full code and there is were we might be able to answer this and many other vague regs.

most important to this thread is that folks that thought they were doing something totaly legal now realize there is some vagueness to the regs concerning this they will have to decide for them selves, knowing the every ranger they run across "could" interpret this differently
I think you are trying to hard to read into the regs.... I also think if you (not you personally you in general) read all the regs it says it pretty clear. It says you can use fish parts or fish eggs. This differentiate eggs seperate and not a part of a fish. Then they removed trout from the list of fish that could be used as bait (new this year) thus making parts of trout illegal.
To me it seems pretty clear, but I guess it could be interputed a different way. However with the regulations saying what they say if you get a ticket or a ranger wanting to give you a ticket make them show you in the regulations where it says you cant use them, then go to the court date on the ticket and show them the regulations and they will drop the charges.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it is allways dangerous to assume

i gather from the response that

a, fish, fish parts, and fish eggs, are all different. since trout are specified as not legal you feel that that only applies to the "fish" since as you say they seperated fish eggs that would also apply to fish parts?

also speeking from past encounters, tickets are not written based on the pamphlets that are generaly available they are written on the full code. just as with driving or anything else. a typo or unclear section of a "pamphlet" wont get you out of hot water. i belive the pamphlet even says that it is not complete and is just a "guide"

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I just got off the phone with the DOW and they agreed with me that egg sacs are LEGAL. On page 4 under "definitions" fish,fish parts,and fish eggs are considered "bait". I've been using them since 1971 in co. and wy. and they work quite well!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
also speeking from past encounters, tickets are not written based on the pamphlets that are generaly available they are written on the full code. just as with driving or anything else. a typo or unclear section of a "pamphlet" wont get you out of hot water. i belive the pamphlet even says that it is not complete and is just a "guide"
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/279EA0CB-C63F-4B49-8150-8B1DD38FB390/0/Ch01.pdf

It says the exact same thing in the "Offical" Statutes as it does in the pamplet, like I said I think you are trying to read to much into it. We have heard from a couple people that said the DOW says its perfectly legal, the regulations do not say you cant use "trout eggs" but does say you cant use trout as bait.
Basically if you want to use trout eggs as bait use them, if you dont give them to me and I will use them for you. >:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts