Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into stocking a few trout in a pond im building next summer.. can you just go to a dow hatchery and buy a dozen or so fry? if so, can you get browns, and cutts too? any info would be great.. thanks

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
You would probably be far better off going to a private fish farm... there are many in nearly all parts of CO... They will sell you fish... I am sure if you call around, you can find the species of your choice.

Better do some research and make sure your pond is the right temp and PH...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet.. thanks for the info... im going to be using geothermal heating/cooling for the pond... if i cycle the water into and out of a 20-30 foot hole the water should stay in the 60;s year round.. youre right about the ph, itll take some tinkering but i think its possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Generally its more important to keep ph stable than at a certain level, especially with a species like trout; they are found around the world in a wide range of ph levels. Good luck with your project, not many people keep trout! Keep us updated if possible!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I would recommend talking with Lee(leeslake)....he has a couple ponds and has successfully kept gamefish in them for years including steelhead as well as bows, browns, etc. His input would be probably invaluable for you. If you can't reach him through here just shoot me a pm with you contact info and I can call him and pass it on to him. Great guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts