Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Dad is out here visiting for the holidays. He's been wanting to go see Cheesman Canyon and do some fishing. I'm a fly fisherman...Dad's not. He actually doesn't do a lot of fishing.

I'd like to take him into the Canyon and show him around and have him do some fishing. The problem is...I don't know much about good lures to use here in CO for trout since I fly fish. Any advice so my Pops can have some success?

Have heard good things about the HD-Trout by Dynamic Lures on these boards. Any other must-have lures for Dad?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tom : )

·
Registered
866 Posts
For streams, smaller sizes of the following;

Panther Martin, silver blade with yellow body (red spots)
Mepps spinners
Rooster tails

·
Registered
29 Posts
My go to lures of choice for streams are the smallest Krokodiles you can find in rainbow or brown trout colors. Have him cast across or downstream to avoid snags...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
MattMan said:
My go to lures of choice for streams are the smallest Krokodiles you can find in rainbow or brown trout colors. Have him cast across or downstream to avoid snags...
Casting downstream will not present the lure properly. It needs to be cast upstream and reel the lure with the current back downstream.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! You guys are amazing. Thanks for all of the great advice for my Dad. I'm gonna print this off and show him all the great stuff you've posted on here. Keep your fingers crossed for us. I'll post some pix of what we land!

Thanks again!

Tom : )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
MattMan said:
Casting downstream will not present the lure properly. It needs to be cast upstream and reel the lure with the current back downstream.
Gotcha, I forgot I have never caught a fish as I described. I mentioned this presentation as he explained his Dad doesn't fish much and this can make life a bit easier this way spending time fishing not snagged. But I guess you can't catch a fish this way.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
MattMan said:
Just a heads up, forage fish can swim. Upstream or down. Both presentations have a time and place.

Please do not use treble hooks in C&R trout water, if you must please mash the barbs. It just wrecks the fish. You can get single hook replacements with an open eye, called a Siwash, that you place over the hook hanger(s) and close with pliers. Some people even prefer the hookup ratio of singles to trebles... ;)

I have said it before, I am saying it now, and I will say it in the future... marabou jig(s) can be fished in any water, and "match" just about forage. Well, suggest just about any forage. But they can be fished in sizes from 1/280th oz to several ounces, hung under floats, drug on the bottom, swam through any depth of the water column. Black, brown, and olive would be my primary colors, with white, chartreuse and pink being secondary colors. Thus any permutation of the first colors is the most common and useful, and the second colors have their use.

If you cant catch trout on a marabou jig it is gonna be a long day. They are basically just wooly buggers on jigheads, though most have no palmered hackle.

Good luck with your pops.

Cheers!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
MattMan said:
Basically, very untrue. Casting downsteam, as noted, and reeled in slowly, can and will catch fish. Both up, down, and cross stream can work.

Panther/martins in black/red and kastmaster work great. I need to broaden my horizons, and learn to use rapalas,..seem to catch fish and bigger ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I do pretty well around Deckers with Panther Martins. Last time I was there, the secret was landing that PM in the pocket below a rock (or even bouncing it off the rock and into the pocket), either casting upstream or across. Dragging it by the rock just wasn't working. I think dropping it into the pocket was triggering a reaction strike.

When the river is real shallow, and you are spending all your time cleaning weeds off the PM, switch to a small (5cm) floating rapala and retrieve it just fast enough that it goes barely underwater.

JW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts