Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to fishing with lures and would like to give it a try! Looking for peoples favorite trout lures and maybe some tips as well .Thanks alot!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Same response as I gave to Bollie, just use the search button on this site and search for "trout lures" or "lures" for example. You'll find lots of good ideas. Kind of a self service way to get some great Colorado based info.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I do best with small spinners such as 1/8 oz. Blue Fox spinners, on ultralight tackle. Small Rapalas that look like minnows do well in some waters. Beetle spins with a white curly tail grub substituted for the original split tail grub are killers. Small metallic color spoons up to 3/8 oz. are good.

I started using 4" jointed Shad Raps on trout last year, and those things just hammer the trout in water above about 50 degrees.

Some people swear by Kastmasters, but those have never worked very well for me, I must not be holding my mouth right. :)

All of the above work better when the water has warmed up just a little, the trout seem to be slower at hitting moving lures when it's cold like now.

On streams, those little "Trout Magnet" jigs drifted just above the bottom with the help of a slip bobber do pretty well; not quite as well in the lakes.

R

·
0 Posts
New to fishing with lures and would like to give it a try! Looking for peoples favorite trout lures and maybe some tips as well .Thanks alot!
3/8 oz silver and orange Kastmaster, lots of distance and lots of fish! If you have confidence in it, you'll catch em! May the FIsh Be WiTh You!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like trout pattern Kastmaster med size if fact had a few trout chasin it today at chatfield had some lookers but no takers. Dam shad!!!!!!!!! anyway that lure has worked for me at Quincy 90%, Chatfield about 50% if not a little less, 11Mile about 70%.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My experience is similar to Walking Eagle with trout lures.

I like small spinners and daredevle/eppinger type spoons...not kastmasters so much.

I've hammered the trout all winter on sinking and floating rapalas and even small 'rat-l-trap' style lipless crankbaits. haven't tried the shad raps like W.E. did but I'm sure they're great...one of my faves for bass.

Keep in mind that a trout is a fish just like a bass is a fish. Things that work for bass (or walleye or anything for that matter) should work for trout provided that they are sized accordingly and presented in an appetizing manner to the fish.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Just an opinionated comment on the Kastmasters: the Northland rattling buck-shot spoons have outfished them in every case where I have used both in the same day. Your mileage may vary.

And the other lures I mentioned above usually beat both of them.

M

·
0 Posts
Aside from what has been mentioned, I tend to do well with Panther Martins. Yellow and red standard as well as black and black and red.

One thing you might try before going out and spending a ton of money on spinners and such at the local tackle stores is to check eBay. I go straight to the "Wholesale" section and look at the big lots. I know there are a lot of spinners and plugs currently listed (been looking them over) and plastic jigs are very plentiful. Don't be afraid to try anything you find. Sometimes if you fish with out of the ordinary stuff, you'll end up pleasantly surprised. I also just bought 500 nightcrawlers that should last me through next December (should get here next week).

Another thing I do is keep my eyes open when I'm fishing. I've pulled a lot of lures out of brush and trees (as well as caught them) where all I've had to do is replace the hook and I've been really successful with them.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yellow/silver blade panther martins in the various sizes and small rapala minnows
thats what ill be dragin when the sun comes up

·
Registered
804 Posts
If I could only chose one lure to fish for trout in Colorado it would definately be Panther Martins. They are especially deadly on streams and rivers. Throw them upstream and retrieve downstream through pocket water. Generally the fish will smash them as soon as they hit the water.

·
Registered
314 Posts
For big browns in rivers, especially swollen rivers, large red and white daredeviils. Cast them straight out or slightly upstream, then let them drift down stream until you end up underneath the bank directly below stream. Look for rocks and undercut banks, and hold on!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
one key thing to do while fishing lures is to fish to the fish's depths. Most of the fish are near bottom, so it makes no sense to start reeling as soon as your lure hits the water like I see so many anglers do. Panther martins in size 6, curly tail grubs in 3" rigged on a 1/4 oz round jighead, 1/8-1/4 oz rattletraps, and 1/4 oz little cleos should get ya into plenty of trout. Countdown rapalas in about size 7 can be good in the correct situation also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't go trout fishing in still waters (lakes-ponds) with out a good selection of Montera Marvels. As TFB has said, [low and slow-varied retreive] is the rule with these. See www.fliesbyguy.com or stop in and see Guy your self next time you are in Buena Vista...he's got his shop just west of town on Chaffee county rd 306 (Cottonwood Pass rd) tell him Allan sent ya'...(ps, they work for ay game fish!) Pikester01

·
Registered
578 Posts
My favorites are Kastmasters (Green, orange and yellow with black spots and Purple, pink and white with black spots), small Blue fox spinners and Berkely Bladedancers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd agree that all the lures mentioned are great. I've had multiple 30+ trout days with montera marvels from Guy. I've even caught 18" largemouths, 12 inch crappie and 10 inch bluegill with montera marvels.

·
Registered
297 Posts
pikester01 said:
Don't go trout fishing in still waters (lakes-ponds) with out a good selection of Montera Marvels. As TFB has said, [low and slow-varied retreive] is the rule with these. See www.fliesbyguy.com  or stop in and see Guy your self next time you are in Buena Vista...he's got his shop just west of town on Chaffee county rd 306 (Cottonwood Pass rd)  tell him Allan sent ya'...(ps, they work for ay game fish!)   Pikester01
I've always called those pistol petes, but that guy has one hell of a selection of colors. whatever they are they work, just like he tells you to use 'em.

M

·
0 Posts
pikester01 said:
Don't go trout fishing in still waters (lakes-ponds) with out a good selection of Montera Marvels. As TFB has said, [low and slow-varied retreive] is the rule with these. See www.fliesbyguy.com or stop in and see Guy your self next time you are in Buena Vista...he's got his shop just west of town on Chaffee county rd 306 (Cottonwood Pass rd) tell him Allan sent ya'...(ps, they work for ay game fish!) Pikester01
I've got a neighbor that lives 5 doors down - he swears by this. He could never tell me the name, and can't ever remember the store in Buena Vista he gets them from (thanks Pikester). Last summer he would come home bragging about 40-50 fish evenings from the lakes around that area. I told him it was a hummer (that's what Sportsman's Warehouse sells them as) and he insisted hummers don't work as well. I'd recommend them based on heresay! ;D

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I like tubes but only at Spinney and Elevenmile early season. Everything else was covered pretty good.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Kastmaster's and Krocadiles rip jigged back.

90% of my trout fishing now adays is with a 3" soft plastic called the Vibra Fin Leech. It was made by a company in Louisiana that no longer makes it. It just plain kicks the **** of of big trout!!!!!

Another great lure at Spinney and 11-Mile is the 3" Power Craw with orange claws. Unfortunately it is now illegal at Spinney :mad:

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i use tubes all the time for trout, that is actually my preferred method to catch them.  when the conditions permit, of course

1 - 20 of 21 Posts