Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meant to post this up in a thread asking about fall brown trout fishing, but I can't seem to find it anymore. (??) Anyway, someone was asking about brown trout meat quality around the spawn, and I actually collected quite a bit of data on that subject this year. It turns out, that in the lakes I fished the meat quality of males was always better than that of females. Females probably use of their fat reserves to produce eggs. This is apparant by the color of the meat. In trout, high fat content meat is red/orange, low fat content meat is white. The picture shows the difference. Both of these fish were caught the same day, the top is a female, the bottom is a male. This trend was always observed. The females are still tasty, but just a little less sweet in flavor.

M

·
0 Posts
great post basshunter, i have observed in general that bigger trout have pinker meat, i assume its because once they stop eating hatchery pellets and start eating protein rich bugs and crustaceans and fish, they get healthier and stronger, i dont know the difference between male and femal, but i like fish that dont taste too fishy, im not a fish eater generally

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had posted and asked that question recently. Thanks for the excellent post basshunter!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hey, basshunter,
If you give me a small sample of meat from a couple of females and a a couple of males, either fresh or well frozen and recent, I can run a chemical analysis on the meat to verify total fat content, and the types of fats that are present.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts