Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The technique of fishing for trout with a jig under a bobber has me stumped.

A little background: I have mostly been fishing Boyd Lake and Lon Hagler Res. this season because they are both only a short drive for me. One day I was at Lon Hagler casting lures for trout, and I was catching some. Spinners and little jointed Shad Raps brought in six or seven bows. Then this guy walked up to the shore a little ways away from me, and started catching trout like you would not believe. For every one I hooked, he caught four.

How was he doing it?

Well, he was fishing with little white crappie jigs under a bobber. The jig was maybe 4 to 6 ft. under the bobber. He was fishing with two rods set up like this, and if he wasn't jumping to grab up one rod, he was grabbing the other, and just pulling in trout after trout. He would just throw his rig out there, and BANG, he had a trout on.

I guess maybe I could have done that well, if I had a stick of dynamite with me.

So the next day I went shopping, got some bobbers just like this guy's, and several kinds of little bitty crappie jigs, and out to Lon Hagler I went to clobber the trout.

Nothing. I fished it pretty hard, I tried different depths, I tried larger jigs, I tried smaller jigs, I tried giving them little jerks, I never got one bite.

So I figure maybe it's a bad day. But now I am determined, so I went back five more times and gave it a good two hours every time with the jig and bobber. I never even got one little tug.

So two days ago I am out there again and almost getting skunked (caught two) on my usual lures. And this same guy shows up and sets up not too far from me. I was glad to see him. "Now," I'm telling myself, "be more observant. WATCH what this guy is doing that you missed last time." So I watched. (Even Walking Eagles have very sharp eyes.)

Well, what this guy was doing was --- nothing. I mean nothing. He just threw out this jig and bobber and put his rod down on the ground and let it sit there. He didn't jerk it or give it any action at all, he just stood and watched it. He got his first trout in like 15 seconds, about an 18 incher. Within 5 minutes he had landed six trout. I had just spent 3 hours catching two. I was ready to kill this guy.

Okay. So this morning I decided to go out to the exact same spot and do the exact same thing. I tossed my rig out and just let it sit there. And that's what it did, too. It just sat there. No bites, no hits, no action. No trout. I even tried cheating by tipping the hook with a little Power Bait maggot. Made no difference. After trying for a long time I gave it up and put on one of my old go-to lures and caught 3 just to prove to myself I could still do it.

This is driving me nuts. I can catch trout, but I cannot do what this guy was doing and I can't find out why. I'm not saying I'm jealous. It would be more accurate to say I'm so pissed I'm about to go crosseyed.

Anyone have any ideas? Because I'm out of them.

W. E.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
sounds like a hispanic fellow at juniata. I might work hard 2 hours to get a limit of walleye and maybe a trout or two and he will throw out the same lures I'm using with the same techniques and catch 10 walleye in 10 minutes. Big ones too. Sadly, he keeps em all but that is a different story.
I've never seen a tube jig passively fished work but i'm sure if he just threw it out and 15 seconds got one it still had movement... I generally catch many fish on jigs in the river by jigging it back in or letting the current sweep it. Maybe you are having bad luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
TROUT CRACK!!!!!!!!!

Seriously WE...He's got to have some sort of scent/ attractant or something going on there.

That would seriously drive me insane.

By the way, I think I may have seen you at Lon Hagler one day a few weeks ago. I was wading the shore casting for trout and the guy I thought might be you was fishing for a bit and then hanging out in a small pickup truck for a few minutes before driving off. I think It was a tuesday or wednesday morning...11 or 12 am...nice warm day. anyway..I almost approached the guy who I thought was you but I chickened out because that's how I am.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
farmer ted said:
TROUT CRACK!!!!!!!!!

Seriously WE...He's got to have some sort of scent/ attractant or something going on there.

That would seriously drive me insane.

By the way, I think I may have seen you at Lon Hagler one day a few weeks ago. I was wading the shore casting for trout and the guy I thought might be you was fishing for a bit and then hanging out in a small pickup truck for a few minutes before driving off. I think It was a tuesday or wednesday morning...11 or 12 am...nice warm day. anyway..I almost approached the guy who I thought was you but I chickened out because that's how I am.
I guess I never seriously considered the attractant possibility, he didn't seem like an "attractant" kind of guy. :) But maybe I should rethink that aspect of the problem.

There are a couple old farts that look like me that are regulars at Lon Hagler, but all us O.F.'s are friendly and like to talk about fishing, so don't let that slow you down.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Walking Eagle

I have a few theories...will go from the least likely to what I believe is the most likely...

First of all I have caught many trout using the above method...there was a guy who used to suspend a black crappie jig under a clear bubble a Spinney that did quite well...and I have copied it many times...the waves and wind do the work...it is even more deadly with a scud in olive/tan/or orange in weedy lakes...we have even went as far as painting little dime sized bobbers with several coats of spray paint to increase weight and castability...and visability or lack of...fish after awhile shy from bright orange strike indicators errrrrrrrrr bobbers...we have even went to the creation of what we call a stealth bobber in greens/blacks/blues...

Another possibility I have seen first hand ice fishing with small micro ice jigs (because I didnt have any and my friend did at Delaney Buttes) was they had a small bit of crystal flash that turned the trick...

But the usual case I have seen for people with not catching trout under a jig/scud and a bobber was line visibility or too heavy...I have seen them shy from 6 pound test in favor of 4 pound...in low vis green or flourocarbon...only two pounds different but it made a difference in Colorado's clear water...

I know of a fisherman near and dear to Ken's heart that wont chase the wipers at Aurora with anything less than 6...other people around are throwing 8 and 10 pound test and not catching...he would rather have the shot and break them off then have no shot at all...

Just curious W.E. what pound test were you using? In the meantime I will ponder it some more should you come back with light line...

Jimmy Houston would say you have to hold your mouth right son...how's that Jimmy?...SHUT!!!...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
And one other thing Walking Eagle...as I am sure you know...trout are one of the dumbest creatures that swims...especially Rainbow and Cutthroats...if you have ever watched one swimming a shoreline like at Estes or somewhere else...they swim along trying different items suspended in the water column...sticks, weeds...hoping it is food...spitting it out if it is not...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zman said:
But the usual case I have seen for people with not catching trout under a jig/scud and a bobber was line visibility or too heavy...I have seen them shy from 6 pound test in favor of 4 pound...in low vis green or flourocarbon...only two pounds different but it made a difference in Colorado's clear water...
Just curious W.E. what pound test were you using? In the meantime I will ponder it some more should you come back with light line...
I tried mostly with one rod that had 6 lb clear mono, and for a shorter period with another rod that had 8 lb Spiderwire braid. I did hear this other fisherman say he was using 4 lb fluorocarbon because its refractive index was very close to that of water. But at the time it didn't really register with me as being significant.

I did have the ultralight with me, it has 2 lb. low-vis green on it, but I never thought to try it with the bobber & jig.

W. E.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are small plastics made in several handfuls of colors...they are called 'The Trout Magnet' and the way he was fishing them sounds like the way they are instructed to be fish.

Here is a link to the website -- http://www.troutmagnet.com/home.html

I have a couple of colors and have had some vicious hits with this setup. I have however never landed a fish...mostly because I have only tried it a few times, not to mention I have almost never fished with plastics...I suppose I should give them a more worthy try...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kajitan, I do have a couple of those little "Trout Magnet" jigs in white, but got no hits on them. However it looks like zman might have put his finger on the problem, maybe the line was too visible. The water has become quite clear since cooler weather has set in, I guess whatever algae there was has died off now, and maybe they are seeing the line better than I thought they could.

W. E.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
he was probley using a slip bobber, i use them alot , ive caught hundreads of kokes on them and rainbows , i even caught a cat on my slip bobber at webster lake

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I used to use the above technique in southern california and catch quite a few trout. I found this technique works best when trout are rising. You can use either a water bobber or a small round bobber jig 3-6 ft below. The tube jigs (1 -2 inch) have much better action then a regular crappie jig. The retrieve is simple. Once you cast out reel in the slack line and let the jig sit for a few seconds. If you do not get a strike pull the bobber in 2-3 feet. This movement cause the tube jig to come up and then back down. As the tube jig falls it goes in an erratic motion, which is normally when you get the strikes.

If it is windy or the water is choppy, you do not have to do too much. The bobber will move with the wind and water.

If the fish are deeper then remove the bobber and just use the tube jig. Cast out let sink. Raise your rod tip and let it sink again.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael,

I took Zman's suggestion about the line and respooled with 4 lb. fluorocarbon and tried that the next time on the lake. This time I got 3 hits that pulled the bobber under, but when I set the hook I missed them. This is progress! I never got hits before. Also nobody on the lake was catching anything at all that day so I didn't feel too bad.

With the line problem apparently solved, I think I need to look next at the jigs I am using. What colors do you like for your tube jigs?

W. E.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Walking Eagle,

I have not fished with tube jigs out here in Colorado, but when I did fish with them out in California, I always used colors that mimic the baitfish. My favority was a white/black combination with glitter. A green/orange color worked and yellow/black worked well too. I would sugggest using the same colors you would select for other trout lures. I have noticed a certain colors can do really well on certain Colorado lakes but not work as great on others.

I agree with Zman as far as light line. I never fish more than 4lb test (even when fishing with lures) when I am trout fishing. It seems I always catch more when I am using the lighter line. The lighter line makes it more difficult for the trout to see the line and provides better action for the tube. If you keep missing strikes, try reeling in extremely slow so there is no slack line and have your pole pointing at a 8 o' clock position. When you get a strike, do a downward hook set. If you still miss them, put a few drops of few attractant on it (if allowed).

·
Registered
174 Posts
W.E.,
I agree with k-king, I'll bet he was using a slip bobber setup - a lot more action, and a distinct hook-setting advantage by pulling directly in-line with hook. I have had really good luck at Carter and Pinewood with pink/white 1/32 jigs. Pinewood is a great place to work on this technique, I've always done well in Fishermans cove with this setup. Give the bobber a little twitch every once and a while...

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have used small white tubes and either fixed or slip bobbers to catch trout.  Works pretty well.  I can quadruple my catch with them by putting the jig head inside the tube, and filling the tube up with my favorite trout attracting scent/juice.  Works well even without the scent, though.  I use 1.5" unscented/unflavored tube jigs through the ice for trout where bait is not allowed.  I call it a barely-legal rig, because soft plastics have to be at least 1.5" and unscented/unflavored to be count as artificial lures in Colorado.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts