Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if others are getting trout on this bait or the knock-offs. I have been catching just a bunch of trout this spring when I'm out there fishing for bass. I fish it weightless, T rigged with a #2 to 2/0 EWG hook so I miss quite a few of these guys 'cause their mouth is small but man, the last couple of weeks I can't keep them off it. If fact, they seem to be beating the bass to the lure.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have had a lot of trout hit them but i never hook them. How do I know they are trout you ask? I saw a big trout in shallow one time and then I got a hit where the fish grabed it and zipped off with the bait real fast I set the hook and missed. Then the light came on that it had been the trout and that it had happened to me a half dozen times that outing so I put two and two together and Wa La it must be trout doing it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sometimes if the bite is tough and i am fishing for trout, I'll thread a night crawler with the hook at the end with a split shot ~ 1ft above it. Cast it out and slowly reel it back. Catch tons of trout this way. Its almost the same concept.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The weightless senko is such a tantalizing lure with a great action, I can see it catching anything that swims. It looks like a dying minnow more than a dying minnow.

I have caught a few big crappies on senkos this spring while fishing for bass and have had bluegills hit it as well.

Buying some of the 2" baby senkos and rigging with a suitable sized hook may be the ticket for trout...it's something they proably don't see much of at least.

Last time I was on Yamamoto's website they had the 2" senkos on clearance.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Kirby! Caught a TON of trout on senkos man...last year 1st fish of the year....Chatfield....3lb Rainbow...Last year @ Quincy Blackwolfs' first fish...Rainbow...on 5" Senko :)

D

·
0 Posts
Kirbydog-

There are some guys in Utah who use a dirty white fleck color through the ice at Strawberry and hammer the big cuts with them. Theirs are the ones made by Maniac Custom Lures and I think they wacky rig them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Caught rainbows in the past at Quincy in 3" senkos in watermelon fishing for bass. Halfway down the dam
by the chain link fence. Rainbows are notorious for hitting
bigger baits especially when it's either low light or choppy conditions.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been fishing the 4" and they seem to like it just fine. I'd shorten it but I am out there trying to catch the bass. A 3" I would think would be ideal for trout, especially stockers.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Senkos have the most amazing action. I don't doubt it would drive trout crazy on the fall. I haven't ever caught anything on one, but I have thought of using one with a trout sized hook.

·
Registered
171 Posts
eric said:
Ken Broeren said:
eric said:
Last time I heard, Senkos and soft scented plastics were illegal.
Only at Fly and Lure Only Waters...
I don't know about that. Might want to double check.
My mistake. The way the DOW presented it to us at the anglers roundtable, it seemed as though it was a statewide all water ban.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts