Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I really didn't want to do it, but I ended up keeping two trout from Boyd today. Man they are either extremly stupid, or extremly agressive, cus after catching at least 200 fish the past few days, these yo-yos took the hook deep. Anyways...... Couple of questions:

1st) how long would you guys recommend cooking them? I'll wrap them in foil.

2nd) Seasonings???? My wifes' a big lemon fan, so I'll probably just throw some wedges in one of them.

Anyone got any killer ideas for flavor, let me know,gotta cover up that fishy taste ;).

Thanks, John

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Squirt a little soy sauce on the meat then some seasoned salt,a little garlic powder,black pepper,maybe some paprika. And those lemon slices.Good stuff

·
Registered
943 Posts
take a pat of butter put inside fish then some garlic lemon pepper wrap up in foil cook about 5 minutes per side anf yummmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My suggestion:
Gut them and leave the skin on, make sure you wash the cavity out really well.  If you're pretty good with a knife, take the bones out, I'm not, I don't.  Make a mixture of %50 salt (kosher is good), %25 fresh black pepper and %25 garlic powder (NOT GARLIC SALT) and rub the inside with that..or just throw some of each in, I like more pepper.  Place thin sliced (1/8 in or less) lemons down the cavity and add a couple small pats of butter inside as well.  If you oil the outside of the fish or spray it with Pam they won't stick to the foil (or the grill if you'd like to do them straight on the grill).   Grill over a medium heat for about 8 min per side in the foil or 5 min per side without the foil and enjoy!  For a better idea, just grill them until the flesh inside just turns opaque (creamey colored).  if you have a nice clean grill and oil it well and make sure it's nice and preheated, I like to do them directly on the grill, but it is a mess if they stick.  Good luck.
BTW-this works with any fish from a 6 ounce perch to a 10 lb striper and beyond.  It's especially good with whole salmon. And if you feel like it, thyme, fennel, or oregano makes a great addition to the cavity.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if they have any size to them youll need like 10-15 min per side on a medium heat to hot and they will burn if you dont like the fishy taste i would skin them that takes alot of the fat and fishy flavor out put some butter in the cavity and wrap with several strips of bacon double wrap with foil and grill

enjoy

·
Registered
664 Posts
my fave for larger fish (over 14") to fillet them (like salmon) leave the skin on and put skin side down in a a foil pouch, sprinkle on lemon pepper and I snip some chives from the garden too. seal the foil pouch and grill on the barbecue for a few minutes or until flaky.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the replies. Actually, they tasted pretty good. Slayer, I think the soy sauce was key ;).

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Glad it worked for you! Another trick is to spread a thin layer of grey poupon mustard on the meat before cooking-mmm,good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts