Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Chatfield today and got into some Trout.. I was able to catch 3 of them off of a #4 hook. My problem is that I had tons of bits. I know that Trout are a crafty fish but I should not have been missing so many.

I guess my question is, what size of hook should I be using?? ???

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm assuming you are bait fishing. When I dunk bait I use 14 trebles with power bait or size 8 with crawlers ect. Assuming you are targeting the trout.

If you are after the walleyes or bass I would go bigger knowing that I may miss a trout if he hits.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wmccree,

Sorry, I was using nightcrawlers on the bottom.  I did try samon eggs and power bait with no luck.

I remember when I was stationed in Germany that we used very small hooks for streams and rivers.  I was wondering if there is a difference when you are going after them in lakes here.... 

I know that this may be a stupid question, but, I am just very curious.

John

·
Registered
179 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question. ;D

I think everyone here has learned some stuff from the other board members.

Happy fishing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
With nightcrawlers I use smaller aberdeen hooks (Size 8 or 10) not even sure why it works for me, but it does, hardly ever lose bait or miss bites. I like the aberdeen also because I have an easy time removing any swallowed hooks due to the longer,barbless, straight shank. Ever try garlic juice or other scents on your nightcrawlers?, or inflated crawlers, these things work pretty well for me. I'm no expert but thats what's great about this forum, being able to share ideas with fisherman of all different skill levels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey I?m not an expert either by a long shot but I?ve had the same thing happen to me, a lot of bites and many missed fish. I tried bending the hook out just a little. Maybe I?m goofy but it seamed to work.

M

·
0 Posts
i always use eagle claw snelled size 8 baitholders for trout, and size 6s if i know they r big. i bought some size 8 circles i have been eaning to try with trout, but havent gotten around to it yet

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I use size 16 trebles. 2 things to try. If using nightcrawlers, try to get them off the bottom. Maybe a foot and a 1/2 leader (use 4 or 6 pound), somrthing clear & flexable. I use Vanish. I hook the swival to a weight, and to the leader. It doesn't hurt to put some air in the worm. You can buy little (visine bottle sized) pumps at Wal-Mart (probably anywhere). If you try bait, and are missing bites. Try less bait, barely cover the hook. Good Luck.

·
Banned
487 Posts
When I'm fishing for trout in rivers I usually drift about 1/3 of a nightcrawler. I have found that using very sharp, number six baitholders works best. Still at times I miss a lot of strikes too, mostly because of the fish picking up the bait and dropping it because of the resistence. Sometimes I will miss four or five in a row, then hook for or five bites in a row. It's not unusual to miss lots of strikes when baitfishing for trout. Just make sure you are setting the hook at the correct time, not too soon, and not too late.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
When I'm fishing for trout in rivers I usually drift about 1/3 of a nightcrawler. I have found that using very sharp, number six baitholders works best. Still at times I miss a lot of strikes too, mostly because of the fish picking up the bait and dropping it because of the resistence. Sometimes I will miss four or five in a row, then hook for or five bites in a row. It's not unusual to miss lots of strikes when baitfishing for trout. Just make sure you are setting the hook at the correct time, not too soon, and not too late.
I also use a size 6 baitholder, or size 8 if I'm missing more then 50% of my strikes. From growing up fishing lakes for catfish that also had bluegills in it and losing tons of worms to the gills. I learned that the hooks were to big to hook the gills and switching to smaller hooks allowed me to hook them and they werent able to steal my bait. I then carried this over to other species that I was fishing if I was getting hits and losing bait without any hook ups, simply switching to a smaller hook I usually started hooking up. The only bad thing was these fish are usually smaller, but moving out here trout seem to have smaller mouths then alot of fish I use to target so the smaller better tactic seems to work for them or atleast for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all of your help guys.

What is and how do you "inflate a worm"???

I am from Kansas and a little slower than most but I have honestly never heard of that....

I must have lived a sheltered life.

John

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jdferguson said:
Thanks again for all of your help guys.

What is and how do you "inflate a worm"???

I am from Kansas and a little slower than most but I have honestly never heard of that....

I must have lived a sheltered life.

John
You can use a worm blower or a syrenge to blow air into your worm it makes the worm float if there is alot of vegatation on the bottom it can get the worm above it.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
They make a little plastic bottle with a needle on it...insert into worm and press a little and instant air bubble in worm...do it after you put him on the hook...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try Pine Wood Resivoir next or around Carter Res.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had great success with Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp L787 Circle Hooks. The hook has two slices on the shank to keep bait firmly on the hook. You don't set the hook, you just lift your rod tip, and the fish will set the hook for you. Man they really work well. :) Good Luck...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Trout are the easiest fish to catch out there bar none...besides voracious tiny perch or tiny panfish. I use #6 baitholder from eagle claw... and I fish rivers and streams primarily for trout. I usually don't have a problem hooking fish...in lakes I rarely miss bites, but in the river you can miss a lot more because when drifting the bait across the bottom, there is always a good amount of slack, even if it appears all your line is straight, it ain't, as I like to say. Of course, in a lake, just take your time and hook the fish on the second or third tap if they are tapping it, if they just start moving off with it, like a bass does with a plastic worm, treat them the same way. If circumstances are dire, I will use a #8 baitholder from eagle claw, but I find that leads to a few swallows, because with my drifting technique on the colorado river and #6 baitholder hooks, I hook nearly every fish I catch right in the mouth. Don't let people tell you trout are smart...they are much easier to catch than bass, catfish, walleye, or anything you had to catch in kansas. The only time they are difficult is when they are feeding on bug hatches, but in most cases you won't get such an extreme hatch to hinder your fishing. Good luck...you won't need it! Trout are easy and have confidence while fishing for them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts