Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the vast array of spinners and other trout lures at SW the other day. They all look good. So instead of buying one of each I thought I would ask you all:

I know that lure selection has a lot to do with water color and temp. and all of that but:

If you could only take 5 lures fishing (for trout) what would your top five be? (sizes and colors would be helpful)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kind of depends on the type of water you are fishing...Lake, tailwater, shallow river, deep hole... I would pick a Panther Martin as No. 1 all around, kastmasters and tube jigs would be up there also. Rapalas, Tasmainias, Crocodiles, etc. In other words, I wish I knew the answer to your question.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The one lure that always produces for me when nothing else does is a 1/4oz Panther Martin yellow body with red spots. I have more of those in different sizes in my box than anything else.

·
Registered
664 Posts
countdown rapala

mepps/ panther martin/ blue fox spinner..pick your color (size #0,1,and 2 mepps and blue fox. size 6 and smaller panther martin)

daredevle...1/4 oz and smaller

Honestly, variations on the above 3 styles of lures are all I have in my little trout box that I carry in my vest when river fishing. I find that trout will hit a slightly bigger lure than most people expect so don't go too small.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have to agree on Firedawg regarding the yellow Panther Martin with red dots. I usually
don't go as heavy as 1/4 ounce.

·
Registered
902 Posts
(1)gold kastmaster, (2)raimbow rapala, (3)silver p-martin w/ yellow/red fether tail,
(4)pistol peat flies (behind a bobber or lead) (5)mepps 00, gold.

any one of those are great trout lures, but a small gold Kastmaster will kill in any conditions (lakes, rivers, small streams, ponds.....). ;D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
farmer ted said:
countdown rapala

mepps/ panther martin/ blue fox spinner..pick your color (size #0,1,and 2 mepps and blue fox. size 6 and smaller panther martin)

daredevle...1/4 oz and smaller

Honestly, variations on the above 3 styles of lures are all I have in my little trout box that I carry in my vest when river fishing. I find that trout will hit a slightly bigger lure than most people expect so don't go too small.
I agree with ted, except I feel you can go even bigger than he said. I would go no smaller than a #6 panther martin spinner in most conditions, and no smaller than a #4 is ever needed IMO. I have caught some massive browns on the gunnison river gorge with panther martins of up to size 15, although I'd say 12 is probably premium. On the colorado or roaring fork rivers, #6 and #9 work well, also on the gunnison besides the gorge (although they catch fish there too, but too many small ones). The white river a #4 or #6 depending on flows, same as the taylor river and fryingpan. A great lure is a 3-5" curly tail grub, rigged either one a 1/2-1/8 oz jighead, depending on the situation, although 1/4 oz is probably the most common used. For the countdowns, a #7 is a good choice but I have caught them on larger. I'm not much of a rapala man but I do concede to the fact that the countdown is the go to crankbait for trout. Works great. The best color of panther martin for browns is generally the orange blade yellow body, and for rainbows the green blade black body. Also, gold, silver, and white rainbow and brown trout patterns work well in certain situations. don't put too much stock into color. Trout are easy.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
panther martim, yellow body red spots silver blade

sized to match your gear and the current

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
1) 1/6 Thomas Boyant (copper)

2) 1/4 Tasmanian Devil (gold w/ black)

3) 1/4 Little Cleo (yellow w/ red)

4) (small) Super Duper (gold w/ red)

5) Daredevle Imp (red/white)

If I could add some --- 1/4 (or smaller) Rooster Tail (black), and the (4 or 6) Panther Martin. (I use black w/ gold)

·
Registered
636 Posts
The only three that I need for trout are
1: panther martin - black with yellow dots or pure silver
2: thomas bouyant - colorado 1/4 oz
3: taz devil - black or orange

·
Registered
189 Posts
My favorites...
Rapala, gold floater
Panther Martin, yellow w/silver blade or black with gold blade (depends on conditions)
Crockodile, orange and green spotted
Brown rooster tail with gold blade
Wooly buggers of all sizes and colors, especially black, brown, green and purple. (you can fish these on a flyrod, or with a bubble on a spinning rod)

Thumper

·
Registered
410 Posts
1. Gold Kastmaster
2. Brown Crocodile
3. Rooster Tail <----Ya Ya I know a little hokey but they work for me.
4. Panter Martin
5. Blue Fox Vibax

Also, Don't go too small or thats all you will catch. I agree with a poster above. I have caught tons of rainbows at Chatfield and Cherry Creek on large #3 Blue foxes. Also on larger Dardevils and Mepps Cyclones. I have landed larger trout, average bass, & perch all on the same larger spinner and spoons. So think outside the box. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Here are my favorites,
1. Blue fos vibrax
2. Natural colored Tube jig
3. Minnow Panter martin
4. Orange and Red Panter Martin
5. Red or green Rooster Tail

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont know if i even fish five types of lures for trout but these are the ones i use in no particular order.
1. Tube jigs of all colors (drop shot)
2. Small Rapalas
3. Panther martins (of course)
4. 2-3 inch mini flukes (drop shot)

If you cant tell by the liberal use of the drop shot techinque im a west coaster

·
Registered
52 Posts
my top 3 are

1. kastmaster (gold with watermelon stripes)
2. Z-ray (rainbow or brown)
3. Dardevle (rainbow or red white stripes)

preffered weight 7g - 10.5g
light to medium tackle. i have two poles one 5'6 with 4lb line and 7' with 8lb line. next goal - to purchase custom 9' light action pole so i can cast my sub 7g lures as far as 10.5g lures would on my 7'. im mostly shore fisherman. long balanced cast wins battles against big trout for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My choice of colors depends upon water clarity and weather conditions, but here are some generalities:

- Roostertail (1/8 oz) in green, brown or black
- Daredevle Spinnie (1/4 oz) in most any color scheme
- Mepps Spin Fly (1/12 oz or 1/16 oz) on a whippy ultra-light rod--loads of fun
- Rapala original #7 (or #5)
- Panther Martin or Mepps XD for deeper water

These are essentially the only lures I use for trout in still water, and I use a fly rod 99% of the time when fishing rivers.

-- Barry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts