Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a little known fact I'll bet most people don't know about the S. Platte below Spinney.

I believe this is the way the story goes.

If not for Trout Unlimited, it is possible no one would be able to access the two parking areas above the gauging station. When you turn right on the road to the two parking areas, there was a small amount of private land you drive across to reach the upper parking lots. A number of years ago, TU purchased the land then donated it to the state of Colorado in such a manner that it can never be developed as private land. I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on television so I don't recall the legal term for this. Access to the river could have been blocked if the land owner decided to not allow us to drive through his land.

What I don't know is if the stretch between the dam and the gauging station would have been blocked by this section of land. In other words, we would not been able to cross private land to walk the river from the gauging station parking lot to the dam.

At the time this was happening, I don't know if the land that is now the Charlie Meyers State Wildlife Area was also private property. Perhaps a TU member could shed more light on this.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It sounds to me like TU bought the land and put it into a conservation easement.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bugz,

That is correct, they purchased the land and the term, conservation easement, is the term I believe I heard, when this happened.

Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thank you TU but is there anyway to stop the rubber clad pecker meat that runs up and down this road? It would be nice for all anglers that fish this sacred land to understand the value of catch and release and the proper fish handleling skillz that allow the trophys to survive to be fooled again. Without that all the TU work to give us access is for NOT.

·
Registered
514 Posts
WOW, a D O K sighting.

aaaand no. Remember, you were rubber clad pecker meat once too.

:-X:eek::-X

·
Registered
910 Posts
Without that all the TU work to give us access is for NOT.
Or alternatively, NAUGHT in American English, NOUGHT in the Queens' English.

Would think some darn ol' king would know that

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
whoa... DOK sighting... random drive by, or back to the melee?

·
Registered
676 Posts
whoa... DOK sighting... random drive by, or back to the melee?
Yeah NO, just checking in to see the condition the forum condition was in.
No change, same people, same stuff. Would rather spend my time tying and fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts