Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck for towing a 5th wheel...

Im looking at getting a used truck for pulling a 5th wheel and bassboat tandem.

I know diesels have way more power, but all my friends have diesels and they seem to have tons of problems. And when they have problems they are expensive. SO...

Do any of you guys pull with a big gas engine?

What model and year?

Do you like it/would you recommend it?

How about over the mountain passes?

Any info would be great, Thanks Dustin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Truck for towing a 5th wheel...

What diesels are they having problems with?

Yeah, Ford had a real bad time with the early 6.0's, and Chevy had injector problems in some of theirs, and even Dodge had some transmission woes.

IMO, the most reliable diesel in that class is the 7.3.

Very affordable, and very strong.

Mine goes about 8,000lbs., and will beat 20MPG empty. Crew cab, 4x4...

And will pull a 13,000 trailer up Eisenhower faster than the curves will allow.

It gets around 13 pulling really heavy.

Try that with a gas hog.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

I've towed my ski boat tandem behind my 5er for about 12 years now. I've had my current set up since I bought the truck new in 2002. Truck is a 3500 Dodge Ram CTD.

If your talking to a lot of folks that have problems with their diesels I'd guess that you might be speaking with folks that have Ford 6.0 PSDs, probably earlier models (2003 - 2005 were the worst). If you go with a 5.9 CTD, 7.3 PSD or most years of the Duramax you would probably be fine reliability wise.

If you want to go gasser, a Ford V10 or a Chevy 8.1 would get the job done, but it will be much slower over the passes and will be running very high RPMs.

Personally, I'd never consider another gasser. I don't think I've spent more than $2000 on items outside of everyday maintenance, and I use my truck hard - when I'm fully loaded I'm towing about 17,000 pounds.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Do your friends own later model diesels? If you look for a pre 2007 model you should be good to go as far as reliability, anything later is so choked with EPA crap it is ridiculous. When diesels are sucking there own soot like the later model diesels, they have turbo, egr and now DPF (diesel particulate filter) failures.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Friends problems with 5.9s

06- 2 turbos, and injectors-60k miles

07- 2 water pumps, other coolant leaks, front and rear pinion- 70k miles (he owned it for 3 months so far)

02- injectors multiple times, tranny nut backing off multiple times-180K miles

04- injectors multiple times, lift pump(?)

07- injectors also

Friends problems with Duramax

I cant remember the years/models...

injectors

over heating

glow plugs

trans going out

Ford 6.0s we all know...

I might go with a 7.3, but im not sure its even worth it.

Anyways, more info on the gassers for pulling.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Darrin said:
Do your friends own later model diesels? If you look for a pre 2007 model you should be good to go as far as reliability, anything later is so choked with EPA crap it is ridiculous. When diesels are sucking there own soot like the later model diesels, they have turbo, egr and now DPF (diesel particulate filter) failures.
I have 2 other friends with the new D-maxs. But they havent driven them enough yet. But I heard they were junk.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And I didnt want this to be about diesels...

But I also heard the injectors are over $2000 without labor. In most cases over $3000. I dont know if thats right though.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

Not sure exactly what info you are looking for on gassers, but considering that over 75% of Heavy Duty trucks are diesels (at least that is the number for Dodge, might be SLIGHTLY less for Ford & Chevy) you will get a lot more comments on diesel.

The V10 and 8.1 will do the job. There are many class A motorhomes that use those engines & are heavier than you are talking about.

·
Registered
797 Posts

I have a V-10 it tows fine I put 27000 on it in a little over 4 months last year 95% of it was towing around 12000 lbs. I avg about 12mpg I put lucas additive in everything (gas tranny oil) no big problems except like all fords had to rebuild the front end at 175000 mi. I also installed air bags in back makes a huge difference in towing and would highly recommend them

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Dryfli said:
I have a V-10 it tows fine I put 27000 on it in a little over 4 months last year 95% of it was towing around 12000 lbs. I avg about 12mpg I put lucas additive in everything (gas tranny oil) no big problems except like all fords had to rebuild the front end at 175000 mi. I also installed air bags in back makes a huge difference in towing and would highly recommend them
Good info. I know the MPGs are going to kill me on a gasser.

Does the higher altitudes affect them?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

I too have the v10. Without pulling I get 15+, however when I do have a trailer I do about 11. Going up steeper inclines it will wrap up a bit (3500) just to maintain. Basically it doesn't have the power of a diesel, but one it was cheaper and two I haven't had any problems with it and it fits my needs.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

we have allot of trucks in the fleet at work. The Ford V10 cannot get out of their own way, gas mileage sucks. The dodges do fine with the cummins , ride sucks. I have a 07 dmax and love the thing to death, ride is like a car and power is great. My personal rig is a 6.0 liter gasser with popup camper and 35oolb boat. Does fine for the lighter load I have, would not want any more load than that. My milage sucks but I can buy allot of gas for the price of a diesel engine ....

·
Registered
978 Posts

I've owned a 99 & 06 Dodge diesels & a 04 Chevy diesels. I really loved my 06 Dodge, it had lots of power and got great mpg. But someone decided they liked it too and stole it. So I bought an 04 Chevy, great truck just not as much power or mpg. But the Allison tranny is way better than the Dodge tranny, especially for towing heavy loads. On the newer models they are putting an extra tank on them that has something to do with the smoke output, to help lessen the smoke output. Which is great but every time you change your oil you have to buy bottle of fluid to put in that tank which costs $50 plus the $120+ oil change. So that's one thing to think about when buying a new model. I think they started that in 2010 on Chevy's and 2011 on Ford's. Not sure if Dodge is doing that yet but they will be soon.

·
Registered
640 Posts

I have a ford.. and I love my Ford, but if I could buy something it would be a Duramax Hands down. My friends have them and they are sweet.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

I've got the GMC 6.0 gas, with 3.73 gears. Passes and weight is not the issue, 13-14mpg is!
Typically at 75mph (while towing) I am around 2500-3000 rpm. The biggest positive is the maintenance, excluding suspension/steering the only thing I have had to do was replace the fuel pump at 150,000 miles.

For work, I have had a couple fo the big fords with gassers, the 250 with the 5.4 was a dog, the 250 with the v-10 was better, but still was seraching for gears constantly with more than 3500lbs behind it.

·
Registered
978 Posts

I have towed my boat behind a 30ft 5th for a few years now, I would never use a gas motor to do it. Not near the power and mpg as a diesel, plus they wear out faster than a diesel. I traveled a little with the 5th wheel and always noticed most RV'ers use Chevy and GMC trucks, because of the Duramax and Allison transmission.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

bassboy said:
I've owned a 99 & 06 Dodge diesels & a 04 Chevy diesels. I really loved my 06 Dodge, it had lots of power and got great mpg. But someone decided they liked it too and stole it. So I bought an 04 Chevy, great truck just not as much power or mpg. But the Allison tranny is way better than the Dodge tranny, especially for towing heavy loads. On the newer models they are putting an extra tank on them that has something to do with the smoke output, to help lessen the smoke output. Which is great but every time you change your oil you have to buy bottle of fluid to put in that tank which costs $50 plus the $120+ oil change. So that's one thing to think about when buying a new model. I think they started that in 2010 on Chevy's and 2011 on Ford's. Not sure if Dodge is doing that yet but they will be soon.
Urea is used on both the Ford & Chevy diesels. It is not needed in the Ram 2500 or 3500, nor will it be any time soon. That said, I don't think the urea is nearly as expensive or as much of a burden as many have made it out to be.

If you go with a gasser, make sure you get at least 4.10 gears. Anything else will feel even more underpowered.

RV.net is an interesting forum, but if you go on there and start talking about pulling tandem be ready with the flame suit. Lots of uninformed folks over there that will chastise you for being unsafe, regardless of how you are set up.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Bionic Man said:
RV.net is an interesting forum, but if you go on there and start talking about pulling tandem be ready with the flame suit. Lots of uninformed folks over there that will chastise you for being unsafe, regardless of how you are set up.[/color]
Sounds like RV,net would be a fun place to troll. Maybe ill make a post about pulling triple...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

FishLip said:
I've got the GMC 6.0 gas, with 3.73 gears. Passes and weight is not the issue, 13-14mpg is!
Typically at 75mph (while towing) I am around 2500-3000 rpm. The biggest positive is the maintenance, excluding suspension/steering the only thing I have had to do was replace the fuel pump at 150,000 miles.

For work, I have had a couple fo the big fords with gassers, the 250 with the 5.4 was a dog, the 250 with the v-10 was better, but still was seraching for gears constantly with more than 3500lbs behind it.
I dont mind 13 MPGs, im currently getting around 11.

Im just thinking for the cost of diesel injectors I could buy a factory re-manufactured V10 with a warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts