Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be putting a topper on my Tundra in April or so. I'm just starting to check them out. So my question is what toppers do you guys like? What brands have you had good or bad luck with?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I like ARE as well. I would also recommend getting one that is lined inside with the fabric/carpet if you plan to sleep inside of the topper. The fabric keeps the dew out!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I paid a bit extra for one with NO WINDOWS. I feel better about leaving gear in it knowing it can not be seen from outside. I also had to sacrifice the blind spots this created, I don't like that part at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My next one will not have curved rear glass. My dad's back glass broke and it cost him just less than half the price of the topper to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Side windows that open.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Another vote for ARE. Just adding a regular topper really decreases your visibility. I can't imagine it with no windows.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
It isn't cheap but the best configuration I've seen is....

A.R.E. MX Series (slightly higher than cab high) with vented side win-doors (vented windows with a screen that open on the sides so you don't have to crawl into the back of the truck to get stuff in an out but so that you can still open them and sleep in the back if necessary). Carpet liner on the underside.

If you have a sliding glass window on the back of your truck, they make a fold down window on the topper so that you can clean between both windows. This is a very nice feature.

Also, try to get one with a wired light as opposed to battery powered lights.

If you want to go with a less expensive option, the CX series is great (what I have on my current truck).

All of the toppers I have bought are from Suburban Topper. They have a "build your topper" feature on their site...

http://www.suburbantoppers.com/Fiberglass-ARE-Toppers.htm

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
That Guy said:

A.R.E. MX Series (slightly higher than cab high) with vented side win-doors (vented windows with a screen that open on the sides so you don't have to crawl into the back of the truck to get stuff in an out but so that you can still open them and sleep in the back if necessary). Carpet liner on the underside.

If you have a sliding glass window on the back of your truck, they make a fold down window on the topper so that you can clean between both windows. This is a very nice feature.

If you want to go with a less expensive option, the CX series is great (what I have on my current truck).

All of the toppers I have bought are from Suburban Topper. They have a "build your topper" feature on their site...

The topper you describe above is exactly what I wanted. What I got was a V series from Suburban today. Really nice basic shell and I got a pretty good deal on it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
That Guy said:

The topper you describe above is exactly what I wanted. What I got was a V series from Suburban today. Really nice basic shell and I got a pretty good deal on it.
How much I'm in the market for one too!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Chris said:
hummus cannonball said:
That Guy said:

How much I'm in the market for one too!

I paid $850.00 after taxes/installed. It was "last year's model" or something. I think he said they were $999.00 new. That woud come out to $10XX.00 after tax, right? Call them and ask what they have that will fit your truck. They have a bunch of used shells too. They were helpful.

I priced the MX version without the win-doors(just sliding/screen), and it was @$1300.00.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody for chiming in! I'm surprised to see no comments about Leer or Snug-tops. I went over to the truck accessory place over by Sill-Terhar (Aerosuds?) and they carry three brands. One is the low end piece of garbage - don't even remember the name, mid-range is ARE and their high end is the Snug-top. Also checked out a place over here in Henderson that carries Raider and Unicap. I haven't been down to Suburban yet and there is a place that used to be across from Burt Toyota on Broadway that sold Leer. My last topper was a Leer and I was pretty happy with it, but I bought that in 98 or so. Just want to try to get something that'll last.

What I have in mind is a topper that comes pretty much level with the top of the cab, I like that style the best. I will have the slider in front and I like the idea of the drop down. It will definitely have the inside headline and I want the light wired in. Also like the sliders on the side. I'm not TOO concerned with price because I'm going to pay for it with some of my severance money. Obviously I don't want to go totally crazy, but I do want to get a pretty good piece of gear...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Snug Top...color matches precisely, never had any water issues, did not get down the fold down window that allows for easy cleaning--- not a problem, can't imagine getting one without windows, I'd get another.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've owned three Lear tops over the last 20 years for different construction pick ups and they have held up well. I think it's the 100R model that I get. Comes with the sliders, color matched to your specific truck and a headliner. Last one I bought was from the Leer dealer on Colfax near Sheridan. He even gave me a free loaner 'till my new one showed up. They were having a so called "sale" when I got this one for $949.

TL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 17 of 17 Posts