Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2010 Tacoma trd offroad and want to put a topper on it. Looking for any opinions on what people think is the way to go. I was looking at a Leer for about 1700 hundered but it will be my first topper so I would like ideas.

Also, where is a good place to purchase one in the greater Denver area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
My last three have been A.R.E. toppers from Ely's in the Springs. I like them a lot and didn't pay anywhere close to $1700 for any of them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
you can pick up a used one for around $300-$500 at a used lot, allot of dealers take them off when they hit the lot , I picked one up 3 year old perfect shape for $500, but then again I'm cheap and hate paying retail ;D

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a LEER, like it a lot. Model is the one with the high top. Yes they are more $$$ but worth it.
Bought one for Elys before was ok but I like the LEER better

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can't beat A.R.E. I had one on my 92 for 13 years when it needed some major work. I went back to Suburban Toppers, and they shipped it back to A.R.E. for warannty work. Two weeks later I had it back and it didn't cost me a dime. Customer service like that is what it's all about!

Also, when I purchased my current A.R.E. I added the side windows that open like the rear window. MIGHTY GLAD I DID!!! It seems like any time I load up, I need something that's up near the cab. Having these windows has made life simpler.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning toward Suburban and the ARE but I am keeping my options open. For what it is worth the cx model was voted consumer guides best buy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the identical truck this summer and got the LEER topper from A&A. I just liked the LEER better than the A.R.E. I got the "Mile High Special Edition" for $1,400 plus tax which offered a few goodies over the standard unit at little or no extra cost.

A big factor for me was that A&A had a topper for the Tacoma in stock and I didn't have to order it and make another trip back for installation. They finished up the job in the shop then started to work on mine.

I am very happy with the topper. It seems well built, I like the latch, and it has a little light just inside the rear window. The only thing I don't like is the tinting of the glass. With the rear window of the Tacoma being tinted and both front and rear windows of the topper being tinted, it seems like night when I look in the rear view mirror and am looking through 3 panes of tinted glass. This isn't a big deal, but if I had it to do over again, I would see if I could get clear glass in the front window. The front window on my topper is removable.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep sswan way under 1700 hundered bucks. In fact I got such a good deal I went ahead and bought the entire Bed Rug for the back which I find really sweet! I looked at the Leer 100xl I think and for the price difference just was not impressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts