Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the first camping/fishing trip is in the books! Hit Trujillo's on Sat,fished for about 4 hours and tore it up!Those browns are starving up there! We pulled flatfish,rainbow colored and yellow with red dots. They hit the stuff so hard and so much that I had to replace trebles on each of the lures,one fish just broke the hook right off. Hard hits each time! By the looks of our lures you would of thought we were fishing for pike or walleye, teeth marks galore!We netted 12 on sat  and 10 on mon, they averaged 17"  the biggest being 19". We kept a couple for the campfire.

I ended up doing the camping thing more then fishing since I had my wife with me ,so we didn't get to the lake till about 11 each day. The action was fierce for  the first two hours both days then tapered off about 2 or so.
The water is clear and cold due to the 4-5ft snow drifts still around and the river is just about back to normal.

Planned on camping at Trujillo's since friday but the campground at the lake was closed due to the snow drifts still in the area , so just went to Aspen Glade to set up camp.The host there said the campground at Trujillo's will be opening the weekend of the 10th.
The Conejos was still a little high but looked clear and very fishable.
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/RezDoggin/IMG_0146.jpg
Wanted to try that out but my wife says "If it aint trolling we aint fishin" so gotta save that for my trip in two weeks.Flyfishin I will be!
All in all we ahd a great weekend even if I didnt fish much. I'm just gald we were able to have a campfire, in fact I cooked a beef brisket unground in the fire pit .....MMMMMMMMM......that'll help keep your mind occupied when the nasty winds are whistling!

M

·
0 Posts
Uh-oh. You don't know what you've started...first camping trip=a lifetime of buying gear, abusing the landscaping at home by not tending to it on weekends, and shunning the daily shower ritual. Those cheesy REI commercials...there's a bit of truth to them. Next thing you know you'll be planning three months ahead and buying gear from MEC (the Canadian version of REI with favorable exchange rates).

Congratulations! Sounds like a terrific and successful trip. I hope you have many more similar in the future!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Ed,
Sorry, let me clarify myself, the first camping trip of this year, and yes already got all the stuff bout 10k worth.Ugh! What a habit huh?

Hey, where'd yo get that frying pan looks like the one I use for cmaping? cool..........

M

·
0 Posts
Ok - first camping trip of the year. Shewww. At least all you'll be doing is buying a bunch of flatfish "just in case" you lose one or two on a future trip ;D

Sounds like a great time! Nice pics too!

·
Registered
991 Posts
THAT is some PREETY country!!! Where is it? I've never heard of it but it looks like it might be a nice place to check out this fall for my annual weekender!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Onefishinfool,
Thats the Conejos river just west of Antonito. The pic is actually taken from the road leading to Lamanga Pass and eventually into Chama NM. This area has numerous streams and lakes. In about a 15 mile radius there's probably 20 or so ponds and lakes,along with 20 or so rivers. This is below Platoro Resevoir. Great fishing infact the local guides say this June is gonna be the best ever beganning this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts