Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carp were the first fish stocked by the govt in the early 1800's for food. They've been in most of our waters long before bass, rainbows, Browns, pike, and the rest of the non-natives. They've been getting along just fine withe these other naturalized fish for over 150 years.

They don't destroy ponds and lakes. It seems they do but that's just because they survive and thrive when other species die out due to other factors - over fishing, agriculture runoff, erosion and silt, poor pond/lake management, etc. sure they eat bass eggs, but so do bluegill and catfish.

There was actually a study I read about that showed that bass population and growth improved better than the control pond after the introduction of carp. This could be for a number of reasons but probably mostly because juvenile carp are good forage for bass. And, while they share some food sources, they aren't exactly competitors for food.

Carp fishing is a huge sport in Europe and across the world, but I guess it's kind of like soccer - just doesn't catch on in the US. They are easily spooked, challenging, grow huge and fight hard. While I'm still a bass fisherman at heart, there's nothing like hooking a 20+ pound carp - at least for landlocked states.

As far as "slimy", I don't find them any more slimy than other fish. At least they have scales unlike cats. As far as "ugly" they're basically the same fish as decorative koi just without the coloration. As far as tasty, I've never tried. But I've heard they're good if you know how to clean them and separate the dark meat out.

I love all kinds of fishing including carp. I think all nature should be respected. Other than invasive species, killing an animal and not eating it is unethical. Comman carp are not invasive and do just fine with other fish.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Best way to cook a carp.....Hmmmm. Start with whole freshly caught rubber lip. Lay neatly on a piece of cardboard over an open fire. Start cooking until cardboard catches fire. Throw away carp and eat the cardboard....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Royalwulff22, catch and release carp fishing is actually growing in popularity in this country. When I started my "CarpQuest" many years ago, it was rare to meet another angler on the bankside that was deliberately targeting them. The majority of those were subsistence fishing; which I have no objection too. The majority of those with a positive view of carp were the fly fishing community, whom have appreciated the challenge and fighting power of these golden beasts for years.

Roll the dial forwards 5+ years, I now often encounter other anglers on the bank targeting carp, catch & release fishing, both adults and children. I have taken many anglers out to catch their first carp, sometimes to assist with their youngster catching theirs. Each time they all have a look of surprise whilst reeling it in and a big beaming smile upon their faces as they hold the catch proudly in their hands.

Whether it be a catching a carp, a catfish, bass, walleye, pike or other species, we all should enjoy and make the most the natural resources we have at our disposal and encourage others to do the same. Carp are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere.

We do need to be mindful regarding the spread of the more destructive species, the bighead carp, the silver carp, the ones you see on you-tube leaping from the water and beating the unwary passing boater senseless. Its not uncommon for folks to simply lump all carp together in the same evil basket.

There is a huge difference between the feeding habits of the common carp and the "asian" carps (bighead, silver); which includes the white amur (grass carp). The later being purposely introduced for algae control in many of our waters. The challenge you get with the grass carp is, once they have done their job, then what ? stocking levels of juvenile grass carp often exceed the levels of sustainability once they have chowed down on the undesirable algae.

I would add that an overpopulation of any species, be that carp of otherwise, can be detrimental to the overall health of a body of water.

Time to refill my cup of java, have a great day !

Tight-Lines,

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Best way to cook a carp.....Hmmmm. Start with whole freshly caught rubber lip. Lay neatly on a piece of cardboard over an open fire. Start cooking until cardboard catches fire. Throw away carp and eat the cardboard....
Hahahaaaa. Never heard that smoking technique. I like it

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I don't eat carp, but I have fished for them off and on for 60 years. many years ago my fishing buddy had a farm that had a house that sat empty 10 months a year. but when the fruit pickers came to pick fruit a family of 7 would move into the house to live free while the dad and the older kids would pick the fruit on the farm and other farms in the area. the mom and the younger kids would make the house a home. my fishing buddy and I would dig a can full of worms and head to a creek where young carp were always crowded in a small area where we would fill a wash tub with 8 to 12 inch carp. it would take the two of us to lift it into the truck, and we would take it to the house and give it to the family. the mom and a couple of the younger kids would clean and then cook the fish. we would do this 2 or 3 times while the family was in the house. they came back year after year and told us that they always looked forward to picking at my friends farm as they had a house to themselves and the fish we caught for them was a great help. many of the farms in the area had I big bunk house for the workers and no place for families , they also fed the workers on beans and corn and under size fruit. that family got paid the same as the ones that worked on the other farms but my friends dad would let the family shoot jack rabbits and I am sure a game bird ot two would help out on the food. so in the end they would make more money and live a little better than the other workers. the best part was after a few years they moved to the area and the dad got a good job with a construction company, the kids entered school and one of the boys married a bankers daughter after high school and his big brother married into a big chicken farmers family 2 of the girls married well also the youngest boy got a job as asst. pro at the golf course. and later became the pro there

so carp helped this family improver ther life drastically

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I fish for bass but I like anything that puts up a good fight and carp certainly do that. Also like catching drum and any of the other so called "rough fish."

I think things are changing when it comes to carp and more anglers are targeting them. One advantage I see with carp is they can survive and prosper in urban fisheries that don't support so called "game fish. In that respect they offer fishing in places where there would be little or none.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I don't target carp but I sure like the way they fight when I catch them.

If only they tasted like walleye. Then you really would have something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts