Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between the poopy weather, my son being sick and being kinda a hot item being single... (tooting my own horn here, lol) it's been tough to fish. That and I won't front, I'm not gonna post skunk reports so that guys like tom and slayerfish can laugh at me.

This weekend, I decided that I was going to just hike it to jefferson. but I lost my motivation this weekend... I been working 60 hour weeks 6 days a week and i just kind of reached that point, you know? so I turned down a casper run on saturday and grabbed my P.I.C, and we went for a few drives.

I posted what I posted about jefferson lake so I'll exclude that. but we did drive through south park. went over hoosier pass in the snow and drove up to Cataract lake to look at wildflowers. talked to a few flyboys and they did ok, but not well. I kept walking over to a spot that produced for me last year when I fished with Anthony fogel and my kid.. and we fished, and ducked under trees to avoid the rain. fishing was steady but once 7pm it, it started to turn on pretty good. Didn't catch alot of brookies but I caught a nice variety of browns, and cutthroats. the fish in there are starting to get good sized. I used marginal tackle, just a strike indicator under a tiny jig with pieces of nightcrawler. Caught 3 browns, 3 brooks, 1 cutthroat. kept 4 bigger fish, released the cutthroat.

weather was wet, but it was beautiful.. especially around dusk. I love this lake so much... I don't give a damn that it's filled with dinks.

The next day, we went to cheeseman... I caught a nice smallmouth and had a few hits. we got there late so we didn't stay long. threw back the smally.... besides do you really wanna see a 12 inch smallmouth bass?

Now that my son is feeling better, and the weather is getting nicer.... I intend on fishing a hell of alot more with him. expect more reports from me soon.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thats cool you got a cut. The CPW says "there are no cutthroats" in Cataract lake and they quit stocking them a few years back.

I wrote sevaral letters and sent several pics notifying them that they were incorrect and that just because they did not catch cutthroats in their gill nets, does not mean there are none in the lake.

My letter was not takin into account, and they have not stocked cutthroat for sevaral years.

They never listen to us dumb ass fisherman and it frustrates the hell out of me.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
First pic is pretty cool!

Catching dinks is always better than work

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats cool you got a cut. The CPW says "there are no cutthroats" in Cataract lake and they quit stocking them a few years back.

I wrote sevaral letters and sent several pics notifying them that they were incorrect and that just because they did not catch cutthroats in their gill nets, does not mean there are none in the lake.

My letter was not takin into account, and they have not stocked cutthroat for sevaral years.

They never listen to us dumb ass fisherman and it frustrates the hell out of me.
I catch at least one every time I'm up there. They spawn successfully every fall below that beaver dam area I think. When I found out ewert put only 800 in there, I made it a point to release any cutthroats I catch.

IMO if they put 10-20 tiger muskies in there, that lake would grow huge fish. But right now, it's a great place to take kids, cute girls, etc. Even on weekends there's not many crowds.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Here is a screen shot of part of the survey. Either Goon is a liar, or gill nets do not always reveal the truth, and making management decisions and reports based only on Gill net data is a very narrow approach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts