Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a good jig head to use while ice fishing for lakers. the jig heads I've seen don't seem to be ideal, but do the job. are there any that you guys know of that are great? if any of you guys pour your own, would yo be interested in selling?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a bulk of them do not have the eye on top, so they do not allow the tube to sit horizontally in the water. the ones that have the eye on the top are topically lighter than i like to fish. there is also the problem of the hook itself, lakers have hard mouths, so id like to find some with high quality hooks.

I guess it would have been easier to ask what others use.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
The ones I use were hand poured and work great...... unfortunatley they are not publically available :( I am running low on them though and will be watching this thread for other options :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
They certainly do. Good luck on the ice... I will be pining for it... That is until I get a boat and can go after winter smallies out here on Dale Hollow Lake. ;)

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Have you tried the gamakatzu ones? What size jigs do you use?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
They certainly do. Good luck on the ice... I will be pining for it... That is until I get a boat and can go after winter smallies out here on Dale Hollow Lake. ;)
Or drive 4 hours north where there is fishable ice.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I got a lead pot two seasons ago and have not looked back, I keep slowly adding to my collection of molds. It's nice to be able to select the size hook you need and put the head on it that works right. most of the molds use a generic hook size and I've put other hooks in them that are not the designated hook and they come out great. I don't pour hoosk for anyone but myself though, it's time consuming.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been pouring my own jigs for too long to remember, for Lakers through the ice, I go with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook with a 3/4oz jig and Owner hooks.
I've never seen what I like for sale.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
You know opry doesn't like to drive more than an hour and half to go fishing :D

I don't mind driving... I just have very limited time to fish and I'd rather spend my ONE off day fishing rather than driving.

And fishable ice may be 4 hours as the crow flies, but do a google maps driving distance from Monterey to Indianapolis and you'll see its a bit more.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I got some from T&A jigs in Florida, Andi. You can find him on ebay. He will pour what you want and is very reasonable. I will try to find his info, hold on....

He has website now. http://tajigs.com/

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I can't find the style I got on his site or his ebay listings, but he poured 1/2 , 3/4, and 1 oz. spro bucktail style (only way I can explain it, the ones with the eyeholes) jigs on 4/0-6/0 thin wire, wide gap, black-nickle hooks for us. They are tits. :cool:

Hey.....Did you ask Longdraw?

·
Registered
936 Posts
A hand full of you referenced that you pour your own jigs. I have been looking forever to find a mold that sets the hook in the middle of the jig head. Is anyone willing to share with me where they got theirs? If you uncomfortable with posting it for everyone to see fee free to message me. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts