Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really getting into tube jigs. Been trying to learn how to fish them properly and effectively. Ive done done some research and what not but I was wondering how everyone fishes theirs. It seems like one should try a mix of bottom bouncing and a steady retrieve? And when utilized properly tube jigs should sort of glide left and right?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
There is no one way to fish tube jigs, they are one of the most versatile baits you can use. I use tube jigs from 1/16 oz with 1/2" tubes to 24 oz with 12" tubes from catching pansize kokes, bows and Lakers in Co to all species of Salmon, Halibut and Ling cod in Ak and everything in between. You can cast them, jig them, still fish, drag the bottom, crank em fast or slow intermittent crank and stop, drop slow or fast, rig them to run horizontal or vertical, with or without bait, heavy or light even topwater. I make all my own jigs with only the best hooks and take them everywhere I fish, for most species from Panama to Alaska they are my go to bait. You can use a tube jig for virtually any and all situations.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Im also just starting to get into tube jigs, I've always had a few packs but never really gave em a real shot. Im gonna make it a point to keep one tied one to one of my rods the rest of the season

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Tubes would be my jig of choice for soft plastics...with gulp minnows being a close second. They'll catch anything swimming. If you're going to swim them a lot instead of just hopping, jigging or dragging, add a leader and a barrel swivel to avoid line twist.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I rig mine either Texas rigged with an internal weight or with a tube insert with the hook exposed. The T rig works better in areas with a lot of snags.You do get a better hook up ratio fishing it with an exposed hook. To me its all about that spiral fall on the drop-one good way to get that is on an insert head don't push the head all the way in-leave it a little back from the end of the tube and that will enhance the spiral.

Mostly fish these for bass and just let them sink to the bottom and then pop or pull them up a foot or two and let them settle back down. Go with the lightest weight the wind or depth will let you get away with-fish hold on to a light tube better than a heavy one-mostly I throw 1/16 up to 3/16.

I go with the natural colors mostly-gr. pumpkin and watermelon are great all around colors. Finally, don't fish these on a tight line as that will get in the way of a spiral fall-leave a little slack in the line. Of course that doesn't apply if you fishing them with a constant retrieve. Hardly ever fish them with a constant retrieve-bottom bouncing works better for me.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Best lures for all trout species, and smallmouth bass IMO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've done well over the years with tube jigs. From micros to giant 5". I generally vary the action I give them depending upon how aggressive the fish are and the type of water I'm fishing. You can also vary the action by the type of head used. Sometimes I'll rig the tube inside the jig and sometimes outside.

Lvrider...what's up?

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I dont like mine to spin. I have better luck when they jig straight and true. I use a round head and jam it up as far as it will go.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here is a somewhat different but effective way to rig tubes.. Pierce the end of the tube head and slide the line all the way through. Then slide on a small tungsten bullet weight on the line not quite all the way into the head. Slide on 2 or 3 beads for spacers then tie on a Trokar drop shot or octopus hook. The tentacles hide the hook and it's pretty weedless. My experience it has much better action on the fall than a traditional 90 degree jig head. You don't really have to set the hook as the smaller diameter hook pierces easier and they are very sticky.. Also when the fish fights the tube slides up the line out of the way of the hook. Fish is a lot less likely to throw the hook and you don't beat up the tube trying to get the hook out. Use the lightest weight you can get away with..

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Sounds good Hammer but it will certainly suck when those pike bite it off 10 times/day.

Or you lose it to snags.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Here is a somewhat different but effective way to rig tubes.. Pierce the end of the tube head and slide the line all the way through. Then slide on a small tungsten bullet weight on the line not quite all the way into the head. Slide on 2 or 3 beads for spacers then tie on a Trokar drop shot or octopus hook. The tentacles hide the hook and it's pretty weedless. My experience it has much better action on the fall than a traditional 90 degree jig head. You don't really have to set the hook as the smaller diameter hook pierces easier and they are very sticky.. Also when the fish fights the tube slides up the line out of the way of the hook. Fish is a lot less likely to throw the hook and you don't beat up the tube trying to get the hook out. Use the lightest weight you can get away with..
This. The few times in the past I used tube jigs, by instinct this was how I rigged them. I remember early last year I rigged a tub jig in a weird way, every time I would twitch, the tube would go up a couple inches while moving to one side and upon the next twitch it would do the same but go to the other side. I was essentially "walking" the tube and it looked sick underwater. Although I only caught some perch on it before I got it snagged and lost it, I'm confident it would slay some other species. If only I could remember how I rigged it :-\

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
They should make jigheads with the eye in line with the hook shank.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pike do have a tendency to F up a good plan.. Love it when you spend time tying something on, and you think "yea, this will work".. you get all situated, adjust your balls, make a great cast, feel a thump and your line is floating.. Great fun..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pike do have a tendency to F up a good plan.. Love it when you spend time tying something on, and you think "yea, this will work".. you get all situated, adjust your balls, make a great cast, feel a thump and your line is floating.. Great fun..
Not a fly fisher but I know the feeling. Good and disappointment. My first Pike
were at Terrayall, Usually used ultalight rods for everything. Cast out,
catch fish for a moment, wonder how it brok off so easily, again over and over, finally got one in. My brother flyfishes, that was the first he had seen of them also. Tied on some hard mono as a leader and it was non-stop
from there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dang-if a guy only had his box with all that stuff in it.....\I'm holding it hostage until we meet up again!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hammer- I like it. Do the beads clack against each other or are the just there for a spacer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts