Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here is a somewhat different but effective way to rig tubes.. Pierce the end of the tube head and slide the line all the way through. Then slide on a small tungsten bullet weight on the line not quite all the way into the head. Slide on 2 or 3 beads for spacers then tie on a Trokar drop shot or octopus hook. The tentacles hide the hook and it's pretty weedless. My experience it has much better action on the fall than a traditional 90 degree jig head. You don't really have to set the hook as the smaller diameter hook pierces easier and they are very sticky.. Also when the fish fights the tube slides up the line out of the way of the hook. Fish is a lot less likely to throw the hook and you don't beat up the tube trying to get the hook out. Use the lightest weight you can get away with..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pike do have a tendency to F up a good plan.. Love it when you spend time tying something on, and you think "yea, this will work".. you get all situated, adjust your balls, make a great cast, feel a thump and your line is floating.. Great fun..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Kirby,
Since the hook is hitting the last bead when you jig it, I would imagine it does create some kind of ticking noise. I've used clear beads in the body and a red bead at the ass end of white/pearl tubes with success.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts