Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I only use Eagle Claw hooks.
Pretty sure I can get over that!!!

Seriously, if you end up making a bunch for sale, I am in...

I have always wanted these for casting to shore with white tubes specifically. After thinking about it, I would go up to 1/2 oz too...

I would also like to add that these type threads always teach me a little. I think many times folks think this place doesn't add to their fishing skills or that not enough info is given in reports. I tend to think that if you pay attention to the subtleties, there is piles of info to be had.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Kirby,
Since the hook is hitting the last bead when you jig it, I would imagine it does create some kind of ticking noise. I've used clear beads in the body and a red bead at the ass end of white/pearl tubes with success.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I do sell all my jigs, the in line jig heads are$.75 each with a minimum order of $20. I can have some ready in a couple weeks. The next 2 are very busy.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
My open water tube season is over now. I would, however like some for next year. I;d start with $30 worth. 3/8 oz. #2 hook I think. Maybe we can meet up on the ice?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Screw jig heads for fishing tubes. A texas/alabama rig provides for a much better presentation.

?? How do you figure? A Texas rigged tube is used more for shallow presentations..and for swimming a tube..say 8 to 10 feet or less through cover..or for sight fishing for spawning fish since they drop straight down without spinning unlike a tube rigged on a jig head..eliminates a lot of tube applications and I have no idea where you're going with Alabama rigged tubes.

For others..Until you get some jig heads with a straight shank..if you need them..just cinch your line down tight at the bottom of the exposed eyelet when swimming a tube.

And Slayer..Why are you putting your tube jigs away..one of the best times of the year for tubes...especially if you're a trout guy.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
??
And Slayer..Why are you putting your tube jigs away..one of the best times of the year for tubes...especially if you're a trout guy.
I wont totally put them away, but I go thru 90% of them at 11-mile. It closes in a couple days.

Unless Im fishing 11-mile or up north I dont fish much for trout. Local eyes Ill be hucking metal mostly..

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
A lot of good trout in Aurora...and they love tubes..
But thats the thing- If Im fishing local waters, or waters that have both eyes and trout I prefer to fish for eyes.

Actually the eyes in Atown like the tubes pretty good also. But unless Im in a boat, Ill be hucking metal off the dam. That lake in Wyo its pretty hard to work tubes in a 25-35MPH breeze!

Havent had my boat on Atown in 2 years.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah the walleye do too...I've only fished Aurora once this year. But, I might hit it up a few more times since it usually doesn't ice up until Thanksgiving. Expensive place to go in a boat or toon if you only hit it once a year.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
That lake in Wyo its pretty hard to work tubes in a 25-35MPH breeze!
Yeah, the harder the wind blows ...the heavier the jig. You may have to increase the weight of the tube from a 1/4 or 3/8ths to 1/2 or 5/8ths with that kind of wind...or you'll never see the line twitch or feel the hit on the drop.

·
Registered
315 Posts
?? How do you figure? A Texas rigged tube is used more for shallow presentations..and for swimming a tube..say 8 to 10 feet or less through cover..or for sight fishing for spawning fish since they drop straight down without spinning unlike a tube rigged on a jig head..eliminates a lot of tube applications and I have no idea where you're going with Alabama rigged tubes.

For others..Until you get some jig heads with a straight shank..if you need them..just cinch your line down tight at the bottom of the exposed eyelet when swimming a tube.

I should have been more specific. Jig heads are my go to when verticle jigging or float fishing with tubes. For tossing tubes (mainly for bass and walleye) I almost always use a texas rig. It seems to up the number of bites quite dramatically, especially when fishing smallies. I do alabama or split shot them too. Just as I fish reapers. a great presentation for picky fish wanting something slow. Try split shotting a tube with a reaper or mr. twister inside of it. It is deadly.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Yeah, the harder the wind blows ...the heavier the jig. You may have to increase the weight of the tube from a 1/4 or 3/8ths to 1/2 or 5/8ths with that kind of wind...or you'll never see the line twitch or feel the hit on the drop.
Yeah but if you go to heavy its nearly impossible to keep the tube up off the bottom/weeds. If I go 5/8ths Id hafta up my rod and line. **** Dat. Plus I'd hafta practically rip it in =no time for the deadly drop-

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I did up my line this year. Used to always use 6lb and if need be attach a 30lb leader for pike. Now I fish 8lb as my main line. Haven't noticed a drop off in hits..and I'm sure I've saved some lures from snag ups.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My open water tube season is over now. I would, however like some for next year. I;d start with $30 worth. 3/8 oz. #2 hook I think. Maybe we can meet up on the ice?

give me a call, i will start pouring lead after nov 20th. I will take your order and we can discuss tube sizes so we get the right hook in it (970) 531-2318

21 - 40 of 42 Posts