Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a hardbait, spoon, crank, spinnerbait type thrower but this year I decided i needed to become more adept at fishing plastics.

So far I've had great success with the weightless senko and love it.

Today I was screwing around with a tube rig and was wondering how you guys rig tubes apart from the basic weighted tube jighead stuffed inside the tube and bounced on the bottom.

I came up with a rig I liked today (although I didn't catch anything on it...yet) I rigged a 3" tube texas style on a 1/0 worm hook and pegged a 1/4 oz bullet sinker about 18" above the tube.

This results in a suspending/ weightless type tube that slowly sinks horizontally (much like an unweighted senko) but also suspends off the bottom ahead of the sinker. When you tug and jig the rig, the sinker takes most of the movement of the rod tip and this leaves the tube with a slow pause-dart action that looks really nice...like a lazy minnow in no hurry.

I know this has been done before but I was wondering if anyone has used this or anything similar and how you all rig tubes. I have shyed away from stuff like drop shot and carolina rigs because I don't want to deal with 3 way swivels and trying to cast a christmas tree.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive caught bass with tubes both texas and carolina rigged. Ive had best luck C.rigged on sand bottom and t.rigged in cover.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I rig mine with the jig inside, when I am pitching from shore I move the lead to the very top of the tube, if I am verticle jigging I but a inch gap in the front of the jig leaving a small air pocket. I also prefer the Carolina Rig versus the Texas rig.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sunman said:
Why, Rick?
Since you werent specific I will give the reasons for each.
Jig inside the tube - I am usually trying to imitate crayfish, with the weight inside it makes the tube sit more like a crayfish on the ground tenticles up and when jigged it pops up then settles back to the same position moving the teticles.
Verticle jigging with a gap in the front of the tube - This causes the tube to spiral when it falls creating more action and mimicing a wounded fish.
Why I prefer Carolina rig is I have lived in N. Carolina and not Texas.... just kidding (not about living there about thats why i prefer it). The weight in a carolina rig is above the swivel and a glass bead in between them both... When jigged the weight hitting the bed attract the attention of the fish the weightless tube behind settles at the speed of the river or at its own weight in a lake which gives it a longer ation time then a Texas rig which gets sucked to the weight. I just seem to have better luck fishing it this way.

Did that answer your question?

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Pueblo...i rig a ball head jig inside of it....
Kansas Waters....i flip and pitch it TX rigged...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts