Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a few people together to plan a tuna fishing trip.. none of my friends fish, my girlfriend comes with me sometimes.. but for the most part fish solo (or w/ my dog).. would anyone on here want to take a trip to NM or elsewhere to charter a boat? Or does anyone on here own a boat that wants 2 people to tag along?? :)

trying to cut some costs.. i dont think i can afford a trip like this on my own..

·
Registered
36 Posts
By NM, do you mean New Mexico? I don't think there are tuna in NM (no ocean) :)

I'd be interested in seeing about the costs of this. I'm headed to Baja's E. Cape a week from today -- hoping to grapple with some monsters.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I believe tuna are a protected species in New Mexico, since they are nearly extinct there. ;)

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
By NM, do you mean New Mexico? I don't think there are tuna in NM (no ocean)
There are tuna in New Mexico...I have seen it in cans in their grocery stores...they dont put up much of a fight unless you put a 1000 cans into a shopping bag!...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
right now the tuna off san diego are in the 150 mile south range requireing attleast a day and a half boat a 3 day trip on one of the local boats would be great about now and as winter comes the fish will move farther south requireing longer trips
one option would be for a batch of us to book spaces on a boat and then meet in san diego for the trip

if the intention is to get into the tuna from private craft i think we would need to drive about 200 miles into baja and that can be rough might be better to meet up down in baja and do the panga thing or wait until spring when they start moving back up and in

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
By NM, do you mean New Mexico? I don't think there are tuna in NM (no ocean)
There are tuna in New Mexico...I have seen it in cans in their grocery stores...they dont put up much of a fight unless you put a 1000 cans into a shopping bag!...
I hear the best way to catch tuna in New Mexico is by snagging. As in 'I went to the the store and snagged a couple of cans of tuna for dinner.'

Dan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAHAH! ;D whats that country doing in the way of NM & the ocean?! it wasnt there last time i looked !! ::) I went tuna snagging at the King Soopers fishery here in Fort Collins earlier today, and i did GREAT!

San Diego would be cool.. how close do they get in the spring? and when will they start heading south this fall?

im gonna go study a map... :-\

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have had days where we left at 6 and came back with limits by ten in the morning, but you never know how close they will come till it happens. generaly they start comming within full day range round may/june they have already moved out of day range this year

a baja road trip to mag bay could be incredible about now

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont fly unless i get the stick. i was raised in san diego and return there often, actualy just returned from there sunday. i have never ventured south of the border on land (been 150 mi or so south in my old boat on 2 day trips) but have several friends that have if you are trailering a boat the trailer has got to be tough and bring all the spare parts for it and your truck youll be on your own down there cant call AAA. a few buddies took a trip down on the sea of cortez side this past spring they towed there boats down just past san felipe and then motored the boats down another 75 mi and fished for 4 days before coming back no tuna but tons of white seabass and big grouper the couaght 1 black seabass that was over 200 pounds (released)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts