Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been invited to go turkey hunting this spring and although i was offered a loaner shot gun i been thinking of getting my own. a friend of mine bought a low-end dear/turkey combo it is a camo gun with a long barrel w/interchangeable chokes and then an extra, short rifled barrel, and that sound right up my alley do any of you know if there are any stores around that stock a combo like this and what can i expect to pay? any other sugestions or input is welcom
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Remington makes an 870 express combo. Barrel is not rifled though. I haven't seen any on the shelf in the Denver area.

You don't need a rifled barrel for turkey. You can pick up an 870 express brand new for about $300 - $350 and an extra full turkey choke for another $25. In Denver metro, Green Mountain Guns in Lakewood has some terrific deals on used guns. I've bought and sold many from them over the years. If you're in the area, they may be worth a visit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
When BassPro first opened they had the 870 express super mag (3 1/2") on sale for $199. At that price you you could have spent another 150 and got a rifled barrel for deer hunting and still come out ahead. I am partial to 870s -- they'll eat dirt and keep working. If you look around I suspect you could get a new combo for ~$450 - 500. It is not the cheapest but it won't fail you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont need the cheepest but im not ready for 4digit shotguns. i have been checking out the rem 870 and the moss 500 but dont seem to see the combo i would like i did see an 870 super combo 1 longer barrel with interchangable chokes and a 20" rifled barrel 3.5" chamber but it wasnt camo. looks like i might have to get a camo turkey gun then buy an extra barrel for the deer and other slug uses

i see to votes for the 870 any thoughts on the moss 500? is it even in the same league? they both seem to be similar in price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i really cant go wrong with either one?

would you spend the extra dough for the 3.5 inch chamber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
I really like the 3 1/2", but they do have a kick to them, especially if you are light in stature. But if you are not a water fowler then you are only going to shoot it a hand full of times a year with 3 1/2" shells.
You will not get any more velocity out of a 3 1/2" shell versus a 3” -- and many times, depending on the load, a little less than a 3" shell. But that extra shot can – but shouldn’t – make the difference on sealing the deal. As far as slugs go -- I believe they only come in 2 3/4" and 3" shells. So it really comes down to personal preference and I prefer a little bit more shot in my shell, but I cannot say I have ever failed to harvest a bird because I only had a 3" shell in the chamber. How's that for ambiguous?
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
roadkill said:
i dont need the cheepest but im not ready for 4digit shotguns. i have been checking out the rem 870 and the moss 500 but dont seem to see the combo i would like i did see an 870 super combo 1 longer barrel with interchangable chokes and a 20" rifled barrel 3.5" chamber but it wasnt camo. looks like i might have to get a camo turkey gun then buy an extra barrel for the deer and other slug uses

i see to votes for the 870 any thoughts on the moss 500? is it even in the same league? they both seem to be similar in price
You don't need a rifled barrel - you can get rifled slugs. I'm looking at a box of 12 guage 2 3/4 inch 1 oz slugs - 5 count that I bought at Green Mountain Guns for $1.99. You can pick up a roll of camo tape pretty cheap at Bass Pro or any other place. The difference between the 870 and the 870 express is the express is a matte finish and the 870 "Wingmaster" or combo is blued. This is my preference over Mossberg. It's a workhorse.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I own 2 mossberg 500's, 20 guage and 12 guage (turkey gun w/short barrel & camo). They are decent guns, I've had them both for more than 10 years with no problems. I am not big on the trigger assembly as it is 100% plastic. I've never had a problem,,, but?? ?? I just am not big on plastic in hunting arms, at least in something like a trigger assembly (plastic stocks are OK). If $$ is an issue as it was for me in my early 20's when I bought these guns, the model 500's are good guns. I've killed many a bird with both guns.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I forgot to mention, finding chokes for the model 500 can be a little tough especially for specialty chokes. The Mossberg 835 chokes are readily available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was just looking at an 835 but know little about them where are they in the line up compared to the 500?

ill take a rifled barrel over rifled slugs any day and a full blown camo job VS some camo tape well it just doesnt compare. atleast for me

unless i here something to sway me im kinda settling in on the 870 camo with the 3.5 chamber my local wally world has them in stock for 298 and change

i was disapointed that wally world didnt have any camo clothing any more. does anyone know of a store in the springs or pueblo that has some reasonably priced camo in stock, pants and over shirt or even a jumpsuit?

thanks guys your input has really help out this turkey angle is new for me and i dont want to be the loser when i go out the first time

thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,587 Posts
I have an 870 as well as an Xtrema. From your description, you want the 870 (3-1/2" mag). That shotgun has to be one of the best ever manufactured. The have made them for decades and they will go thru anything. The only reason I got an Xtrema is for waterfowl hunting.

It is just my opinion, but the 870 is the perfect all around gun and you can't go wrong with it. In addition, for deer hunting you don't necessairly need a rifled a rifled barrel as Mr. Ed stated. You can go with rifled slugs. I personally would go with 00 buck shot. I have taken two does (whitetail) using my 870 with buck shot.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The 835 is a higher grade gun than the 500 and it's chambered for 3 1/2" 12 guage. It's a good gun but more $$.

Just a question, are you hunting deer in Colorado with a shotgun? If so, why? Most people if given the opportunity to hunt with a high power will hunt with the high power anyday over a shotgun. If you want to increase the challenge by limiting your range with your hunting weapon, go muzzleloading or pistol or my favorite, archery. Of course if your hunting in a state that requires shotguns, you have no choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
roadkill said:
i was disapointed that wally world didnt have any camo clothing any more. does anyone know of a store in the springs or pueblo that has some reasonably priced camo in stock, pants and over shirt or even a jumpsuit?

thanks guys your input has really help out this turkey angle is new for me and i dont want to be the loser when i go out the first time

thanks again
I have picked up camo at Dick's later in the spring for half off. It might be a bit early right now for the sales -- but it is worth checking out. I assume you are going for Merriams and not Rio Grandes. If that is the case -- hit the Army surplus stores and get a set of woodland camo for pennies on the dollar. Every body wants the new fancy stuff -- including me. But a good set of BDUs will work just fine up in the pine trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fowl_Hooked said:
roadkill said:
i was disapointed that wally world didnt have any camo clothing any more. does anyone know of a store in the springs or pueblo that has some reasonably priced camo in stock, pants and over shirt or even a jumpsuit?

thanks guys your input has really help out this turkey angle is new for me and i dont want to be the loser when i go out the first time

thanks again
I have picked up camo at Dick's later  in the spring for half off. It might be a bit early right now for the sales -- but it is worth checking out.  I assume you are going for Merriams and not Rio Grandes.  If that is the case -- hit the Army surplus stores and get a set of woodland camo for pennies on the dollar. Every body wants the new fancy stuff -- including me. But a good set of BDUs will work just fine up in the pine trees.

unfortunately im not built like a marine and therefore i dont fit in surplus bdu's

sure you "can" hunt with rifled slugs but they are not in the same league as a sabot in a rifled barrel and i dont need it but if imgoing to buy a shotgun i would like the versitility of the second rifled barrel there are a lot of places that i frequent that you cant see more than a 100yards anyway so who needs to reach out to high power rifle ranges anyway

thanks again for the input im stuck between an 870 3.5 camo and a 835 camo both are $300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I've always stood behind my 870's, my old man has a couple, one with an extra rifled barrel. My brother has a moss 500 that has had some issues- previously said- plastic. I would go with the 870, camo 31/2. JMO
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The rifled slugs I have are carried in a sabot. I would be cautious about buying a rifled barrel - try looking around to see if you can find any non-rifled slugs in your area. I know slugs in this area are tough to come by and generally, all the ones I've seen for sale up here are rifled.

You don't want to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel.

One option you may want to look at is getting a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke tube. That would give you flexibility in using a slug or buck shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont see the issue of shooting rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? how could it hurt?

ive read many articals that said rifled slugs dont do much to actualy impart spin to the slug cause the rifling on the slug has nothing to bare against
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i see the moss 835 has an over bored barrel. what do you guys think of the over bored barrel idea?
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top